New to saltwater and corals.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bigsi12

Hi All,
New to this forum so firstly, Hi :wave:
Now, Ive currently got a tropical set up and everyones happy in there so now i feel the times right to make the jump to saltwater side.
I dont want to make the mistake of starting too big for me to handle, so i figured the best option would be to start with a small tank my idea being:
Start with a small tank, add some nice pieces of live rock, Sand etc. Then adding 1 clown fish, and get practice keeping corals ( want to get practice first keeping corals before investing in a larger tank so i know what to expect; behaviour, requirements etc.
So i was wondering what would i need? Im looking at a tank between 40 and 60 litres, so whats the best way forward, Lighting, Filtration

Thanks

Welcome to reef Frontiers this is a great site and many people willing to help, just remember to go slow starting new salt tank takes time and dont want to rush to fast once things are set up and running. As far as what you'll need I leave that to the experts here I am a noob myself and know they can help you figure out what you need.

Welcome! im in the same boat as you...except i went way overboard. I guess I don't have the restraint you have. HAH

I started doing a nano tank in August of 2012. The most important thing I can tell you is patience. I got the tank on the stand and leveled, I put in the substrate (aragonite), and heater to 78 degrees. I then added salted RODI water, put in 2 cocktail shrimp and let them float for 4 weeks. Monitor that cycle appropriately (Ammonia/Nitrite/nitrate).....when it crashes to zero and stays, remove the starter (shrimp) and add the rocks (that have been in a tub with a powerhead blowing on them for a couple of weeks). I let that sit for 2 weeks before I added in snails.....you will see Diatoms before you add the rock...that's a good thing...they will go away.

After that, add slow.... I am a couple Clowns, a couple pipe fish, starfish, Urchin and about 40 pieces of coral. I recommend starting with Euphylia, then some LPS..... Keep away from the SPS until you have a grasp on the parameters and want to start playing water chemist (Calcium/Magnesium/Alkalinity/io0dine). Make sure you are between 8.1 and 8.4 ph and 1.024 salinity...

Best of luck!

Glad to see reefers helping out "NEW" people to the hobby.... But........
Did you by any chance see the date of the OP?

small not always easier

Welcome to the hobby

A couple of things to remember...
1. Patience
2. In a smaller tank, things can be more difficult, as small things can have a large impact...remember, parts per million are still parts per million. There are just fewer millions in small tanks
3. In competing in saltwater, there is now less room for livestock to compete for, so be careful on placement, as coral/fish still done like others lol

Good luck
QUOTE=Bigsi12;681134]Hi All,
New to this forum so firstly, Hi :wave:
Now, Ive currently got a tropical set up and everyones happy in there so now i feel the times right to make the jump to saltwater side.
I dont want to make the mistake of starting too big for me to handle, so i figured the best option would be to start with a small tank my idea being:
Start with a small tank, add some nice pieces of live rock, Sand etc. Then adding 1 clown fish, and get practice keeping corals ( want to get practice first keeping corals before investing in a larger tank so i know what to expect; behaviour, requirements etc.
So i was wondering what would i need? Im looking at a tank between 40 and 60 litres, so whats the best way forward, Lighting, Filtration

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Hello and welcome to the greatest site on the internet for reefing. If you have any questions, any at all, don't be afraid to ask. We have many knowledgeable (not me):) and helpful people here.

Back