New to the area... kind of

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

schadiest1

Just wanted to post a thread and introduce myself. My name is John and my family and I moved here to Whidbey Island just over a year ago. So far my wife and 2 boys love it here. We finally got a tank up and running, a red sea max 250, a great plug and play tank.

Here's some info on the tank,

70lbs live rock
50lbs live sand
2 black clownfish
Blue hippo tang
Lawnmower blenny

only corals to this point are zoanthids.

tank has 6x39w T5 lighting which is pretty nice. should give me a lot of options for corals. want to keep mostly SPS corals.

so that's just a quick intro. look forward to frag swapping in the future.

Sweet that is awesome. Adding to the cult already. We will need your robe and sneaker size, and we will pair you up with a level 45 coccolithophorid, that will help increase your knowledge of zooxanthellae. Just kidding about that. Really just kidding. So there are alot of good people on Reef Frontiers, and here in North Sound Reefers. If there are any questions or different points of views on other issues please feel free to chime in.

Welcome to RF feel free to post pics of your tank! Welcome and this is a perfect site when you need input or different opinions. Good luck.

Hey John, :welcome: to Reef Frontiers and North Sound Reefers. There is a bunch of great Northend reefers here to assist you with the new system. Looking forward to seeing some pics and hearing a little more on how/why you got into this hobby.

Cheers, Todd

thanks everyone for the kind words. I am working on uploading pictures right now, but a little background on my saltwater history. My first tank was back in 2004, it was a 20g high and I had no idea what I was getting myself into. We kept that tank for about 6 months and decided we wanted to upgrade. So we got a 75g and started getting into corals, mainly softies and LPS. Well, I needed to deploy with the navy and my wife thought 75g was too much, plus it was against our apartment owners rules. We down graded to a 40g long, which by the way was my favorite tank of them all. After returning from deployment we started a 15g long nano tank along with the 40g. We then moved to a new home and if you have never moved a fish tank, let me tell you, it's a lot of work! Pretty much a whole day dedicated to tear down and setting back up. At this point we found out we were going to be having a baby and that this hobby was too time consuming and broke our tanks down and took a break. But, as we all know, it's too addicting of a hobby to be "tank less". So we purchased a 12g truvu aquarium and got our hands into SPS for the first time. Again, found out we were moving (to Washington this time) and broke it down. Now, here I am with my red sea max 250 rocking and rolling again in the saltwater hobby.

now for the pictures,
DSC_0039.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0041.jpg

Off to a great start, welcome to the site and North Sound Reefers. Except for "Other Todd" aka TJL, a real great group of people.

Does the Mandarin eat dried foods?

Off to a great start, welcome to the site and North Sound Reefers. Except for "Other Todd" aka TJL, a real great group of people.

Does the Mandarin eat dried foods?

The LFS told me he was eating a little frozen brine with krill spray on it. For now, he's been feasting on copepods and amphipods in my tank.

Welcome to the site.
It’s nice to have another island online.
I see you like cameras too.
I have a request of some HD video of your system.

Back