New to the Forum

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

WABlonde

In Training
Just wanted to say a quick hello and introduce myself. I ran into a very nice person at Aquarium Paradise the other weekend who told me to come check out your site.

I currently only have freshwater fish but the BF and I are looking to start a saltwater. My folks had saltwater tanks when I was growing up and I'd very much like to get into the hobby. Not just for fish but I'm very interested to learn about reef keeping.

Again - a total newb but all advice is welcome. I'd be very interested to know if there are any classes on setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank.. possibly any of the local fish stores? Currently working on PURCHASING a set-up and get it it running so that eventually I may add to it.

P.S. If you have a nice set-up, I'd be interested in learning about it. Please PM me. We are looking for a larger tank 80+ gal.

Thanks much!

Howdy, and welcome!
The first step is to consider what sort of coral you want to keep. This will set what equipment you will need to purchase.
If you want SPS, Anemones, or clams you will need a bit more equipment than if you just want softies and fish.
Have a look at the tank/coral pictures and see what appeals to you.

-Todd

Howdy, and welcome!
The first step is to consider what sort of coral you want to keep. This will set what equipment you will need to purchase.
If you want SPS, Anemones, or clams you will need a bit more equipment than if you just want softies and fish.
Have a look at the tank/coral pictures and see what appeals to you.

-Todd

Thanks Todd. Nothing is easy with me. :badgrin: Of course I'm wanting the SPS and Anemones! Unfortunately, the fish I desire are not compatable with such... all in time I suppose.

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Great forum, a lot of nice people and very helpful.

Ask a lot of questions and do a lot research before start...it's fun

Welcome to RF!

Not really any classes that I know of. There is the PSAS (Puget sound aquarium society) and the people are the fish stores could help out with more specific questions.

Lots of good reefkeepers here, and I'm sure plenty of them would love to show off their tank and setup. You're welcome to check mine out if you are ever in seattle, but I'm sure there are many people in lacey.

The book recommended earlier is good. Then once you get an idea, start asking lots of questions! I'd be careful on buying stuff before you have a general game plan figured out.

One problem people run into is getting an aquarium stand before they decide on their sump and protein skimmer. Some of the skimmers are tall and don't fit in a lot of stands. So plan out those things first before you start purchasing too mugh.

Thanks Rob. I know that set-ups can be very expensive. So hoping I can take over one for someone that is looking to either get out of the hobby or upgrade. I'll for sure look into that book that was recommended.

How fast things happen. Found a well established tank w/ reef and fish. Will be bringing it home on Friday with the help of good friends. :)

Please ask the person you are getting the system from to write down the maintenance schedule of what they are doing to maintain it. So many people buy a new setup and don’t know how to maintain it and end up loosing a lot. See if they could come over and show you how to take care of it and what to look for the first couple of weeks. This is just a recommendation, it seems like your jumping into a full system pretty fast. If anything does go sideways or something we are all here to help.
Welcome to Reef Frontiers.

Thanks for your concern. I've been reading through the forum and just finished reading through a tank crashing thread. The couple hasn't done any maintenance on the tank for the last 8 or so weeks. The husband has a heart condition which prevents him from doing anything laboring. The wife isn't able to lift the buckets for water changes. They are happy to find a new home for their set-up. My boyfriend has experiences with salt water tanks. Uncle owned a pet/fish store and my parents had salt many years ago. I'm hoping that between them and help from this forum and other resources that we'll be successful.

There IS an hairy green algae outbreak. Currently the tank is in a high sunlight area which may be adding to this. Will be interesting to figure this out. We'll be doing a partial (1/3) water change when we bring it home this weekend. From there... is yet to be determined....

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!! Great forum, a lot of nice people and very helpful.

Hey, has anyone hit on her yet? She mentioned a bf but that may just be a ruse to put us off.

Kidding, kidding....welcome to Reef Frontiers and good luck with the new tank. As was mentioned earlier, find out what the current owner is doing as far as maintenance and stick with that as much as you can, at least initially. Moving a tank is going to stress everything in it and the quicker you get it back on its "regular" schedule the quicker things will settle back down.

Good luck,
Mike

Welcome to Reef Frontiers.

Congrats on the new set-up.

I would recommend that you try and get as much of that hair algae off the rock when you are moving stuff over.

I wouldn't take any more than one cup of the old sand/substrate and put all new sand in the tank. Too many bad things can happen with old sand/substrate.

I would start off doing 20% water changes for the first month or so that you have the tank set up. After a while, and with testing as long as everything is staying stable, you can stretch your water changes out.

Just make sure you are topping off the evaporated water every couple of days with fresh RO/DI water.

A 100 gallon tank should be pretty easy to keep since you will have a little larger window of time if a crash begins to happen.

Just have lots of flow in your tank and it will be fine.

Back