New to the hobby.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Clay B.

Ordered my 75 gal tank, light, and power head. I still need to make a sump. Anyone have some plans foor a good sump system?

Welcome to the world of reefkeeping!! :D. A great place to see and get some good sump ideas would be at www.melevsreef.com. Go there and check the sumps and DIY link.

Good luck!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problem! If you can't find a design there then something is wrong :p. Looking forward to seeing your build. Any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Hey Clay, a BIG :welcome: aboard Reef Frontiers. You will also find many sump ideas and plans here in various threads in the DIY forum.

Cheers, Todd

Welcome to RF. GL with your build.

One big thing to think about before building your sump is what kind of protein skimmer are you going to use. They have to sit at a specific depth (you can adjust up with a little stand inside the sump.) What this amounts too, is the skimmer in the sump is often pretty tall. This is important to think about in advace as store bought stands often don't have enough room to put the skimmers (why you see so many custom stands.) You may have to get a shallower sump if you have a store bought stand and you want to fit a good skimmer into it.

I am using a SWC (Salt Water Connections) 160 Cone skimmer in my system and love it. There are lots of options though and lots of knowledge here. Might want to have a skimmer picked out though before you start building a sump (to accommodate the foot print as well as the height.)

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Rob

Welcome to RF. GL with your build.

One big thing to think about before building your sump is what kind of protein skimmer are you going to use. They have to sit at a specific depth (you can adjust up with a little stand inside the sump.) What this amounts too, is the skimmer in the sump is often pretty tall. This is important to think about in advace as store bought stands often don't have enough room to put the skimmers (why you see so many custom stands.) You may have to get a shallower sump if you have a store bought stand and you want to fit a good skimmer into it.

I am using a SWC (Salt Water Connections) 160 Cone skimmer in my system and love it. There are lots of options though and lots of knowledge here. Might want to have a skimmer picked out though before you start building a sump (to accommodate the foot print as well as the height.)

Anyway, welcome aboard!
Rob

I second that. You should decide what equipment is going to be used to make a correct decision on what type of sump and how large.

Here's how I built my sump:
DSC01963-65K.JPG

I used a 29 gallon tank and had the local glass shop cut me 3 pieces for the baffles. The skimmer is raised up on a stand I made out of eggcrate and PVC so that it sits at the right height in the sump. The pic does not show the stand, but it should give you a good idea on how to design a sump that will work for your setup.

Back