New to the site

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tundra

Hey all, my name is Joe, i'm fairly new to SW tanks. I've had a couple of really basic setups in the past. I'm working on my first build now, a 135g glass tank, a 55g glass sump, & 12g fuge. I purchased a Mag 9 for a return & a Sequence Snapper for the closed loop system. I plan on having the 72" Nova T-5 unit, i'm unsure of the automatic topoff system & the RO/DI units i would be using.

The tank is being put into a wall, & sits in a small closet area.

wall1.JPG

walla.JPG

wallb.JPG

wallc.JPG

wall3.JPG

Since the tank will be in an area with little ventilation I added an exhaust vent, which will be on a timer.

DSCN0811.JPG

DSCN0814.JPG

DSCN0815.JPG

I also ran (2) 20amp lines with GFCI breakers to the tank area

elec1.JPG

elec2.jpg

elec3.JPG

elec4.JPG

elec5.JPG

i bought the tank used, it was predrilled with a single corner overflow & (3) holes in the floor of the tank. All the holes fit 3/4" bulkheads, but i will be enlarging the holes to fit 1 1/2" bulkheads, which would give me 1200gph through the overflow.

Here's a shot of the tank in the wall

tank_in.JPG

Wow, you say you are new to saltwater? You must be getting some serious advice from someone.
Dedicated circuits for the tank, exhaust fans, rodi unit, closed loop and in wall build.
Impressive!

Thanks for the welcome. Finn, i had a 55g reef before, but i knew nothing about a thriving reef. for the last year i have been scratching the surface of reefing, just recently (last 2-3 months) i really started to understand things. i do have a couple of friends who have been guiding me in the right direction. hopefully i can make more friends here. any suggestion are more than welcome.

Aloha and welcome to RF......your tank is coming along beautifully!!!

Thanks WPH, its hard to find that median between going slow enough not to rush but go fast enough not to get discouraged.

Hey, thanks for the support. as of now i'm waiting for a buddy to send me his hole drill bit so i can widen the overflow holes to fit 1 1/2" bulkheads & drill a couple of them in the back wall for the closed loop system.

I have an idea of how i will run the plumbing but it isnt set into stone. It will look similar to my buddy's plumbing here (4th picture in 1st post) except my sump is glass and i will have a T from the display drain instead of the display return. I aslo may do the spray bar that he did. Since my pump has a 1 1/2" outlet I would put a Y on the line, do a 3/4" spraybar & a 3/4" with a SCWD on it. Hope this makes sense.

Please give your opinions.

Since my pump has a 1 1/2" outlet I would put a Y on the line, do a 3/4" spraybar & a 3/4" with a SCWD on it. Hope this makes sense.

Hey Joe,

I'm assuming that you're talking about your CLS here? And if I understood correctly, you’re going to run a Sequence Snapper?

And since you’re asking for opinions, I’ll share mine! I would steer you away from the SQWD’s. I’ve had two on my http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7603 55 gallon and was disappointed by its performance. In the end, I took it off and ran just straight piping.

Albeit more expensive solutions, but far more reliable and dynamic, I would look at OceansMotions, WaveySeas, or SeaSwirls.

I also wouldn’t drop the diameter of the piping down after the ‘Y’. I’m by no means an expert here, but if memory serves; the pressure of two ¾ lines is more than one 1 ½” line. So you’ll be impacting the performance of the pump. I think that people in ‘the know’ will sometimes run larger piping to help with the head loss. If you don’t already have it, a great resource would be J. Charles Delbeek and Julian Sprung’s The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 3, (I would recommend the entire series.) and of course the Tank Design forum here.

Just a side note since you haven’t mentioned it; make sure that you throw on some valves after the ‘Y’ in the plumbing so that you can make adjustments to the flow between the spraybar and the SQWD or other water motion device.

I love the in wall tank design. Looks good. Keep us up to date!:D

Thanks for the infor Trevor. Yes, i was refering to my CLS, sorry to here about your disappointment in the SCWD. OceanMotion 4 is my first choice, i'm just checking all my avenues.

As far as reducing the line size, Sequence actually recommends putting pressure on their pumps, it reduces the wattage & they guarantee their pumps can withstand being pressurized.

Also i will have ball valves after both pumps in order to tweek them & unions before and after each pump for servicing as well

Thanks for the infor Trevor. Yes, i was refering to my CLS, sorry to here about your disappointment in the SCWD. OceanMotion 4 is my first choice, i'm just checking all my avenues.

As far as reducing the line size, Sequence actually recommends putting pressure on their pumps, it reduces the wattage & they guarantee their pumps can withstand being pressurized.

Also i will have ball valves after both pumps in order to tweek them & unions before and after each pump for servicing as well

If you have the funds, forget the SCWD and go with the OM.

finn, i reall dont have the funds, but to me its a must so i'll have it. it may take a lil' longer, but i will have it.

Back