new to this hobby any help will GREATLY be appreciated thanks to all

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

myfast02

well first off im new to this great hobby but i have a 125 gallon fowlr tank and im trying to get into and add corals now and im looking for a new protein skimmer newyorksteelo from youtube told me i should get the aquac ev240 with mag18 pump i was wondering what everyone thought of this protein skimmer and if i should try it or another im wanting it for in sump im also looking to put in a huge sump/refugium at least a 55-100g i can build one but before i do i was wondering if anyone recommends any already built ones im also looking into calcium reactors and controllers i was thinking about getting the neptune apex system with upgraded probes any and all help will be greatly appreciated THANKS TO ALL..

Welcome! This will probably get moved to the equipment\Skimmers section. Don't have any experience with that model of skimmer, but for that price or less you can probably come up with a much better skimmer new or used. I've used their Remora, but honestly I don't think that spary injection method Aqua C uses can out compete skimmer using a decent pump with a pin wheel. Also if it comes wiht a Mag 5 and is used in sump, it's going to add heat to your system as Mag pump tend to run on the hot side.
Checkout Reef Octopus or SWC. You will probably be happier in the long run.

Welcome to RF :welcome: and thank you for starting a new thread with your concerns and questions. You will get so much more feedback this way!:) On the AquaC skimmer, I use to use the EV120 (the smaller version to the EV240) on my 75gal and 38 gal running off of a mag5 and was happy with the skimmate it produced. I know at one point in time a lot people use to use them, but the hobby has advanced so much over the years, that I'm not sure how popular they are anymore. Someone else will have to chime in to confirm. On the sump, I'd probably suggest either custom building your own or having one custom built. This way you can set it up exactly how you want it and not be limited to a certain company's design (unless the designs you see is up your alley). Alot of people will convert tanks into sumps by just installing baffles which is also an option. On the calcium reactors, I've never used one so can't comment there. I've always been successful enough to just dose with a 2 part additive (B-Ionic - calcium and alk). Hopefully the others will chime in and offer some more feedback for you. :)

On a side note, I moved your thread to the New to Reefkeeping section where it seems more fitting. :)

Last edited:
While you look to set up your tank I also suggest to invest in a RO/DI system to make sure you don't introduce any unwanted phosphates or nitrates to your tank. If your supporting a reef I would run your salinity at 1.026-1.027 IMO because I have a 130 and my reef is very happy. This is a wonderful site to gain knowledge and be sure to be PATIENT.

ya ive been looking and researching everyday non stop just about on everything from brands of protein skimmers, lighting, to the many options for flow so as ive said before any help is greatly appreciated. ive looked at many ro/di systems but not sure on what brand to buy as for the delay on buying any of the other things i need. i know alot can and will be trial and error but im simply trying to save myself on the error part of things lol so if anyone can recommend a great ro/di system to get as well as anything else they'd like to take the time to name id really love it.. as for the protein skimmer i was thinking about getting the aquac ev-240 with the mag drive 18 pump but from everything ive read about them theyre good skimmers but for the money i could get a better one? i apologize for all the questions everyone i just feel as if im already failing at this not sure if thats at all normal starting off but it sure is what im going through lol

ya ive been looking and researching everyday non stop just about on everything from brands of protein skimmers, lighting, to the many options for flow so as ive said before any help is greatly appreciated. ive looked at many ro/di systems but not sure on what brand to buy as for the delay on buying any of the other things i need. i know alot can and will be trial and error but im simply trying to save myself on the error part of things lol so if anyone can recommend a great ro/di system to get as well as anything else they'd like to take the time to name id really love it.. as for the protein skimmer i was thinking about getting the aquac ev-240 with the mag drive 18 pump but from everything ive read about them theyre good skimmers but for the money i could get a better one? i apologize for all the questions everyone i just feel as if im already failing at this not sure if thats at all normal starting off but it sure is what im going through lol

Ask away man...That's what the forum is for. :) On the skimmer, take a peek in here http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f220/ . It is our skimmer section (a sub section under the equipment forum) and you will see some good recommendations in there. If you are up to it, even start a new thread in there specifically dedicated to your skimmer question and see what replies you get. Mark (skimmy) is our skimmer guru here and will point you in the right direction. He trolls that section all the time LOL! Off the top of my head, Octopus skimmers seem to be a really popular brand these days, but check out that section. :)

While the aquac ev240 would not be my choice, it would work. However, I think a Mag 18 would be a bit too powerful for it.

I would seriously consider the SWC Skimmers. Either a MiniS Cone or above. All of these would be an exceptional choice, for your tank.

Another concern, in switching from FO to a reef tank, will be lighting. When determining your lighting needs, you need to first consider what you want to keep. Then, learn the lighting needs of those animals. For the most part, quality T5HO or 250W Metal Halides will allow you to grow anything you want.

Well i would not spend too much money on a really good skimmer that is unecessary because you need to ask yourself how much fish and coral your going to add for your bio-load. Lighting kind of all depends what kind of corals you want to support as returnofsid touched on. SPS, LPS, softies. If your doing SPS i would get metal halides. If you can get different spectrums of light that is always a healthy thing for your corals, such as 10K, 15, 20k etc.

well right now i do have metal halides i have two 250 watts i believe theyre 10k and two 48" vhos all together 750 watts of light right now as for corals id like to do for the most part sps and maybe a hammer as well as some zoanthids but as i said for the most part just sps and zoanthids?

i bought the lighting from a guy taking his system down i only plan on using it for the mean time because i would like to build a new hood and buy some new ballasts and bulbs as for doing this ive heard from some that i dont need to have a chiller but would like to get more opinions on this thanks again everyone :)

Depending on your lighting, you may or may not need a chiller. A lot of people who run Metal Halide lighting, find themselves needing a chiller. Typically, those running T5HO lighting, don't have as much heating issues, as T5 is a more efficient means of lighting. Watt for Watt, both will create the same amount of heat, but T5s spread the heat out and dissipate the heat, more efficiently. With T5s, you also don't need to go Watt for Watt, to attain the same amount of light, in the tank. As an example, over a 75, you'd typically run 2X250MH, or 500 watts. With T5HO, you could attain similar results with 6X54 watts of T5HO, using 324 watts and still being able to grow whatever you want. Less watts will result in less heat.

There are advantages, that both lighting systems have, over one another, so learn about both, before making a final decision.

Last edited:
i was looking at swc skimmers and was either thinking of buying the 200 or possibly the 250 extreme skimmer or the 180 cone skimmer im not sure of the difference between the cone or the other what makes them different besides the obvious shape is one better then the other?

returnofsid im taking in all the advice i can get from everyone but due to the fact that you all are pointing me in his direction i will and am absolutely paying attention to what skimmy has to say thanks for your advice as well Ü

about the led lighting i was really wanting to get into that but ive heard that overtime the leds may not go out but dont give off as much as they did. i know that with just about every bulb there is its going to be that way but for the price im wondering if its still worth doing?

Back