New Water Changing Station Build

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

bearjohnson

Here is my latest DIY project.

These 35 gallon storage containers are in my basement and my DT is in my kitchen.

Now is the time for pump recommendations for the new station.

I was toying with the idea of using the main pump that would be pumping water upstairs as the circulation pump as well but I think I'm leaning more towards just dropping a small powerhead into the mixing tank seeing as I have to heat it any way. I'm up for thoughts and suggestions on this idea....

Twin and valve the two tanks together so I can pump fresh or salt with the same pump. Then from there I was considering running pvc from the tanks to the top of my stairs and terminate it with a valve and a barbed fitting then add about 12' if clear flexible hose to the barbed fitting. (tank is less than 8' away from the top of the steps) When it comes time to fill or top off, just grab the flexible hose and go.

Any thoughts/recommendations on which external pump to choose and piping configurations would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have always been a fan of the reeflo blowhole's extremely powerful, silent, and it has a very small footprint.

I have a 120 gal water change set up in my basement. Im using a Eheim 1260 Water Pump. It is plumbed so when not changing water it circulates the salt mix. I then have a 100 gal holding tank that is plumbed into the sump. That way when I need to do a water change I can isolate the holding tank from the system, drain it and pump the fresh salt mix into the holding tank without dropping the levels in the sump or main tank.
water change.jpg
photo.jpg
As you can see with the power cables everywhere this is a project that is not completed :doh: It will give you an idea of what I did. I have a new 150 gal sump being made that will give me far better access to the mechanical filtration. The other smaller tank is fresh RO water

Since its in the basement and noise shouldnt be a huge issue. A Mag 7 or higher will be a cheap pump that will do the job.
An eheim will do it as well and be more quite, and if you can afford it an external pump will work even better.

What abou thoughts on plumbing?

Do I plumb it so the main pump also mixes the salt container or should I just drop a small pump in the container and be done?

Thanks!

Yes, I would build a manifold with ball valves so that the one pump does everything you need from mixing to refilling.

Back