New wave-maker setup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

snobanker

New wave-maker setup-redux

OK I just got two more MJ1200's and a wave-maker powerstrip for my present 55 g tank. Not sure why I buy stuff for this tank, when I'm supposed to be getting stuff for this huge 180 sitting empty in my family room....lol :rolleyes: Actually I think I'm just trying to continue to improve what I already have.

I have just had two MJ PH's I'm my tank on the middle of the back wall for a while and its just a constant flow toward the front and to the sides from there.

Reading the instructions for the WM it seems that two of the timed outlets come on at set times opposite of each other, while the third comes on for twice as long and at different times...if that makes sense. :doubt:

My plan is to put the new PH's on each end but toward the back and pointing in and to the front. Each of these will be on the outlet of the WM that come on when the other is off. The old PH's on the back will both be plugged into the random outlet that remains. I'm thinking this will create some decent turbulence.

I know that others use this same type of WM strip. How long do you set the timer for? I really have no idea where to start it at. Is more frequent change of flow better or longer periods?

Here's a quick little drawing of the placement idea......My main question is what the timing should be, but all comments are welcome.

Last edited:
Hey Stan,
I have 3 large PH's (left, right and middle) that go off approx. every 2.5 minutes, one after the other. It seems to keep up nice movement with nice little periods of relaxation too.

Glad you're feeling better!
Susie :)

Thanks Susie :)...and all you others that responded......why I oughta.....Jk

Ok I got the PH's in and in the process I found out the two I already had in the middle were Mj600's not 1200's like I thought...hmmm:doubt: anyway so it turns out the two in the middle are like one big one I guess. So basically it sounds like I'm about the same as you Susie. I have the timer set for about a 30 second cycle back and forth between the two sides, with the middle being on and off for twice as long which is the way the timer works. I guess I'll increase the cycle length. It sure made a big difference even in just how the tank looks. I mean as far as it's a noticible current flow change as opposed to one direction all the time like I had.

Oh I got my two 100w stealth heaters in and replaced my emergency back up 100w'r that I threw in after the big heater disaster of '06. Now I have it holding steady at 79f as oppossed to the 75-78 fluctuation from the emer...or even worse the 86 degree constant from the trusty molten magma 2000 heater.

Annnnnnddddd I started using my new refractometer...I know no one is going to believe this but it turns out the ol' reliable swingarm was off by about
- .006:rolleyes: . So I am now working on slowly dropping the salinity over time to about 1.023 or so...:D

Last edited:
I think that pattern will work well for you.

I'm curious, does it slowly ramp up voltage to the PHs, or does it just switch on and off?

its just on and off. I had one on my old 44 hex and it kills hagen powerheads in about 4 months. I hear that maxijets last alot longer with that powerstrip.

Stan - how lonag are you going to increase the interval for? I would have it on for at least 2 1/2 minutes, like Susie. My motorized ball valve switches from side to side about every 6-7 minutes or so. Gives each side some time to kick up any detritus that collected, and also gives each side a nice breather when its not on.

hope this helps

I was playing with the timer last night and right now I have it at about 2 minutes...I'll turn it down a little more . It seems to work well, but I'm sure that its not the greatest for the motors, but being that they at magnetically driven it shouldn't hurt them "too" bad. I hope to get going on the big tank soon after tax time....Turbo Tax loaded and ready to go just waiting on the W-2 from my city....they are always so slow....heh heh, anyway what I mean is as long as the PH's last a few months I should be ok :D

Yeah the Maxis are supposed to last just fine with it. I just had trouble with hagen 802 powerheads. It just wasted them, they would start to go blhblhblhblhblhtssshhhtssshhhh and just not put out in any flow.

snobanker said:
OK I just got two more MJ1200's and a wave-maker powerstrip for my present 55 g tank. Not sure why I buy stuff for this tank, when I'm supposed to be getting stuff for this huge 180 sitting empty in my family room....lol :rolleyes: Actually I think I'm just trying to continue to improve what I already have.

I have just had two MJ PH's I'm my tank on the middle of the back wall for a while and its just a constant flow toward the front and to the sides from there.

Reading the instructions for the WM it seems that two of the timed outlets come on at set times opposite of each other, while the third comes on for twice as long and at different times...if that makes sense. :doubt:

My plan is to put the new PH's on each end but toward the back and pointing in and to the front. Each of these will be on the outlet of the WM that come on when the other is off. The old PH's on the back will both be plugged into the random outlet that remains. I'm thinking this will create some decent turbulence.

I know that others use this same type of WM strip. How long do you set the timer for? I really have no idea where to start it at. Is more frequent change of flow better or longer periods?

Here's a quick little drawing of the placement idea......My main question is what the timing should be, but all comments are welcome.
how much did you pay for your powerstip?what brand is it? im trying to get good water movement in my tank also (bowfront 47G tank) with out having to cough out alot of cash,something resonable that works is just fine.ive seen a power by seio that agetates from side to side does any one know if this power head puts out good water movement p.h. cost about 35$ currently running 2 rios and my return hose.

sx230 said:
how much did you pay for your powerstip?what brand is it? im trying to get good water movement in my tank also (bowfront 47G tank) with out having to cough out alot of cash,something resonable that works is just fine.ive seen a power by seio that agetates from side to side does any one know if this power head puts out good water movement p.h. cost about 35$ currently running 2 rios and my return hose.

Here is the one I bought...still on sale too it seems:D

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=4793&N=2004+113782

wrightme43 said:
Yeah the Maxis are supposed to last just fine with it. I just had trouble with hagen 802 powerheads. It just wasted them, they would start to go blhblhblhblhblhtssshhhtssshhhh and just not put out in any flow.

Hey Steve was it "blhblhblhblhblhtssshhhtssshhhh" ? or "ssshhhtssshhhhblhblhblhblhblht" ?,which is the noise I think they make in reverse:lol: :lol: ;)

Back