New Windows 7 user and I'm lost

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mfinn

Surgeonfish
I broke down and bought a new pc yesterday and it has Windows 7 on it.
Big difference over my XP pc.
First thing I did that I did wrong was somehow I removed the bing bar that had the mail tab on it. How do I get it back? I really only want the mail tab. Hotmail and windows live. Not a fan of bing. I prefer google search.
Anyway to stop the desktop picture from changing?
I was able to move everything from my old pc to the new one with Windows transfer. Couldn't believe they charged me $30 for a cable that really just looks like a usb cable.
I will have more questions as they come up..................

Congrats Martin. I just made the same change a couple of months ago and I totally agree on the big difference thing. I have muddled my way through 7 and figured a few things out so far. For the most part I like it but it does seem a little more difficult to find things than in XP. I don't know about the Bing bar (I don't recall mine having it) but the scrolling desktop pictures are in the Personalization section if you right click the desktop. If you have one of the themes selected that have multiple pictures shown it will scroll through those pictures periodically. You can select how long each picture shows and such or you can change it to a single picture.

Right click on the desktop and you will find all you need for customizing the background.
Been using 7 for some time now and have decided it is an excellent upgrade from XP.
I use office outlook for email, great organization tool. One can right click on about anything to get to the controls for it ad set up how desired.

I see where the customize area for the desktop picture, but I want to keep the same one all the time. The longest I can see that I can keep one is 1 day to 30 minutes.

I want to find the hotmail and live windows.
I also want to stop the pc from going to hibernation, or whatever when I'm away. It seems to take about 10-15 seconds to wake up.

I remember when I had to call one of the kids to come over in the 80's to fix my vcr so that it would stop blinking 12:00 lol
I'd call one of the grandkids now, but they are all busy playing in the sun..................

You can change the sleep settings in the "Power Options" that's in the control panel. Let me know if you need more details than that. :)

You can change the sleep settings in the "Power Options" that's in the control panel. Let me know if you need more details than that. :)

I did mange to hunt that down. I remembered (eventually) that it would be located somewhere near the screensaver area.

Now I really want to find out where ( reinstall ? ) the windows live and hotmail icons.
I can pin my comcast mail tab to the task bar, but when I click on the link, in the email, that is provided to bring me to the thread ( like this one) it takes 5-6 seconds, when it should be 1-2 seconds tops.

OK, got them both back where they were to begin with. Now I just to figure out how to get my comcast email account emails to show up there.

Where is there? Outlook?

I really would like to be able to get to my email in a similar fashion that I did in XP.
With a mail tab on the tool bar when the browser is open. At the moment when the browser is open, I see a hotmail tab and a email page tab. I don't care which one I use as long as I use my current email address.
I was under the impression that I could set this new pc up so all my pop 3 mail account emails would show up here.
At the moment I have the comcast ( xfinity) email program pinned to my task bar to access my emails. The main problem with that is, when a email comes in saying that someone replied to a thread I am subscribed to and I click on the link to go to the thread, it literally takes 5-6 seconds to get the page to open. 5-6 seconds maynot seem like much, but it should happen, in the blink of a eye. If I wanted dial-up speed, I could save a ton of money. ATM I am paying for 22mb speed. I want it.

Also, on the XP machine, I used a program called IE Maximiser, which would force all web pages to open full screen. That program doesn't seem to work for Windows 7. What can I do so that it will work that way?

Ok, It took me a while but I located windows live mail by going to the start menu>all programs and I found the ive mail program and dragged it to the task bar, next to the ie browser icon. I guess that will work. And all the emails going to my comcast account are showing up there, and the responce time when I click on the link to take me to a thread is what it should be.
But I still have a tab on the tool bar that says "E-mail page" and one that says "Hotmail", that seem to be useless. No emails have shown up there.
I would like to use those tabs, not the task bar tabs. Too much like a mac.

Back