new

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blueberry

hey guys im new and want to start a reef tank. my dad is sryder u may know him.he says that all u people are here to help and give a lot of info.i would appreciate all the help u would give me thanks. Zack

what are your plan as far as corals?what size of a tank are u getting?

oh by the way welcome to RF

Last edited:
Hi Zack! Welcome to RF! Your dad Steve is a very nice person...You are one lucky fellow:) Glad you to see you are also into the hobby...That's great! So what are your plans? I currently have just a FOWLR (fish only with live rock) setup for now and it seems to be a breeze at keeping so far with all the knowledge and help I've gotten from the forum. Let us know what questions you may have and we will be more than happy to help you along your way. Best of luck! I hope you enjoy it here:)

thanks guys i might be getting a 40 gallon tank already drilled for a closed loop.as for corals i am not sure yet what i might be putting in it.im thinking about what to put in it and my dad will help me with equipment that i need.

WELCOME TO RF !!! you have a kewl dad :) .
i hope you find all the right equipment and please let us know what you get and may be some pictures.
I think your 40 gal tank is gonna be awesome dood, do you want it to have sand or bare bottom?

Welcome to RF!

If you planon doing FOWLR at first and then corals later, make sure set up your tank for coral right away. I made the mistake of saying that I was not going to get corals, and now I want them and am spending a lot of extra $$$ to get the equiptment.

Once again, welcome!

These guys and gals have been my knowledge base and my inpiration! They will treat you right.

James

i know guys my dad is pretty cool:cool: .(sarcastic alot though)i would appreciate all the help u will give me. as for the sand bed me and my dad are planning on it.im definately going for the corals so ill get some good shelf pieces of rock.Zack

im definately going for the corals so ill get some good shelf pieces of rock

Sounds great Zack...Maybe you can shop around in your dads tank when he's out(LOLJK) Should be a great setup...Definately let us know whatever it is that you need answers for...Best of luck!

thanks krish and ive always wondered this while my dad was on and i was next to him watching:are you always on this site???

Shelf Rock

Hey Zack welcome to RF sounds like a 40 gal is the choice, A very good one at that:) If possible get a longer not as deep tank usually called a breeder tank It will give you a little more flexibility for fish choices and corals choices as we as better light disbursement good luck on the Tank and you will have start a thread on it when you get it ;)

blueberry said:
i know guys my dad is pretty cool:cool: .(sarcastic allot though)i would appreciate all the help u will give me. as for the sand bed me and my dad are planning on it.I'm definately going for the corals so ill get some good shelf pieces of rock.Zack

are you always on this site???

Pretty much(LOL) My wife just said basically (LMBO!) Yeah, I'm on here quite a bit whenever I get a free moment, trying to help out when I can or where I can and then just talking crap the rest of the time (so they say LOL):D

Apprentice the tank im getting is longer more then taller. so what is the difference between having a long tank the tall???????

A longer tank will give your fish more swimming area and the lower height, will be better for light penetration. Tall tanks like mine at 24 inches need stronger lights to reach bottom...

Zack dood, we're here most of the time if not always :p unless something happens to the computer :( (right krish :D... just joking )
I agree with Jeff and krish is good to buy a long and not deep tank :).
Also think of what type of fish you want to keep and if they'd get along, and the corals, which ones you think you'd like the most to have :D ... hehe i love that part :D

Good reply Krish

Mostly Zack its spread out more and it gives you a very big foot print. For instance a standard 40 gallon tank is 36" long by18" wide by 17" Deep.Now a long is 48" long by 13" wide by 17" deep the 48" long is the key Tank stands , light fixtures and hoods all will be this standard size ;) Then latter on down the road lets say you want to upgrade to a bigger tank,you can go up to a 150 gallon tank on a 48" foot print :eek: Your lights,stand,& hood all could possibly interchange If you get a chance Or if dad has some deep pockets See If he will spring for this Book : The new Marine Aquarium By Michael Paletta Its about 14-16$ And it is a very good first book for setting up YOUR FIRST TANK I am sure there are other books but this one is pretty good and I highly Recommend it....
Its what i used and hey it got me a 150 gallon reef:D Good luck Zack I look forward to seeing that tank in progress...
Jeff

krish75 said:
A longer tank will give your fish more swimming area and the lower height, will be better for light penetration. Tall tanks like mine at 24 inches need stronger lights to reach bottom...

blueberry said:
i know guys my dad is pretty cool:cool: .(sarcastic alot though)i would appreciate all the help u will give me. as for the sand bed me and my dad are planning on it.im definately going for the corals so ill get some good shelf pieces of rock.Zack

Welcome to Reef Frontiers Zack, and to the wonderful hobby of reefkeeping...:D

If you are planning a sand bed...take some time and read as much about them as you can...they have an upside, but some downside as well...and the more you know about both sides, the better chance you'll have of making your tank a success if this is the path you choose.

I encourage you to use this site to your advantage, there is a considerable wealth of knowledge and experience here at your disposal. If you have questions, just ask:D

MikeS

what are some of the bad and good things about sandbeds?as for the fish and corals my dad won't lett me get anything that will fight maybe except for tangs.corals i plan on gettting a large variety that cans stay under the lighting me and dad are putting on it.as i start building up my tank ill post pictures and a normal picture of just the tank a little after christmas when i get it.Zack

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

4.gif

Back