new

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

hello all but im still wondering abou the advantages and disadvantages of a sandbed:confused:

hello all but im still wondering abou the advantages and disadvantages of a sandbed

Well, it's basically a matter of opinion. You can have success with either a sand bed or or without. The main difference from what I have learned is the care associated with each. I have a ssb(shallow sand bed) because I like the look, but I have to clean it weekly through vaccuming before waste has a chance to break down as ssb cannot denitrify. This method really doesn't offer any advantages other than providing some substrate for certain critters needing it and buffering the water etc. DSB's(deep sand beds) require a different approach and is the only sand bed that can remove nitrates from your system(denitrification). BB(bare bottom) seems to be the upcomming trend. People seem to think their corals do a lot better with this system. These are just a few thoughts and opinions of mine to get you going. I'm sure others will give their advice and add their 2 cents here also. Best of luck!

Back