Newbe hardware

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

brotherturtle

OK guys I need to know what I NEED to run a reef aquarium with soft corals and fish.

I know I need:
Tank
Lights
Sump

What else?
Is an RO needed?
how about Protien skimmer?
and how about Kalk reactor?

anything else I need?

OK guys I need to know what I NEED to run a reef aquarium with soft corals and fish.

I know I need:
Tank
Lights
Sump

What else?
Is an RO needed?
how about Protien skimmer?
and how about Kalk reactor?

anything else I need?

Need more info. What size tank?

Don

55 Gallon with Power compact lights total of 260 or 520 Watts (for units in light fixture each says 65 Watts but there is 2 bulbs per fixture is that 65 each or 65 total each?)

The bulbs are 65 watt each bulb. 4 of those MAY not be enough for keeping an anemone happy long term, if you try it keep it on a rock near the top/light. 4 bulbs x65 watts each=260 watts :)

"Is an RO needed?"

The purpose of having one is to ensure the water you add for evaporation and water changes is free of: nutrients, nitrates, minerals or anything that would harm your reef. It's better to have it. You could get a TDS meter (Total Dissolved Solids) and see what the water out of your tap is like. Distilled water get's expensive overtime and allot of store water filter systems don't change the filters often enough

"How about Protein skimmer?"

The purpose of that is to remove the waste from fish and invertebrates etc.
The nitrate level's in an established tank can get to high for some corals to do well and some will turn brown or die from elevated levels. Frequent Water changes can keep it low enough but it really depends on how many animals and their size that you decide to keep and also how much you feed them. Overfeeding is also a waste that has to be removed or the pollution level will rise to high. So if you do water changes allot feed minimum amounts and the nitrate level stays very very low then you may not have to get one yet.
However almost everyone would tell you it is just a matter of time before you do and it's better to have it running and not need it than to need it and hope the corals don't suffer from pollution levels rising (nitrates)

"And how about Kalk reactor?"

It is used to primarily drip a few drops per second into your tank preferably at night in a high water flow area to raise the PH level (normally a little lower at night with the lights off) and to add a little amount of calcium.
With a soft coral tank 55 gallons. After the tank has been setup and running for 3 months and has finished cycling and you have added what you want to the tank. Test for Alkalinity and Calcium On the first batch of new salt water to make sure it is where it should be. Then don’t dose anything but check it a week later and see if there are any changes. That will tell you if and when you need this.

:)

Paul

Last edited:
In reality a lot of "stuff you will need" will come about through trial and error.

If anything in that list

******RODI******

Will save you a ton in aspirin costs.

Back