Newbie lighting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

FishieNut

I'm researching setting up a 125 show, 72" reef. I'm planning on using a 3x250 or 3x400, plus PC, plus moonlights. Theses hand above the top of the tank.
My question is what do you put over the tank? Egg crate? Does that interfere with the lighting?

Help is appreciated. :confused:

Most people leave the top of the tank uncover to allow the gases to escape. Egg crate does work I use it on my tank, it does reduce some of the light, so I remove it when I am around, and have it on at night to keep my wifes cats out and to prevent jumpers

Welcome to Reef Frontiers!!!

What is the height of the 125? I can't remember. Do you know what types of corals you are wanting to keep? My tank is 24" high, and I use 250 watt MHs, which are fine for SPS. Anything deeper than that, I'd probably say to go with the 400W if you are interested in an SPS tank.

I use eggcrate on top of my tank. It keeps the fish inside, instead of becoming a tasty snack (for the cats), or ending up in my overflow box...grrrrr. Prior to the eggcrate use, I had it just open, with the canopy. A lot of folks do it either way. Having the top open or eggcrate, allows for evaporative cooling, too....a benefit when using MH lighting, as things could really heat up.

Hope this helps!

Thank you both. I can go with a 60x24x24 or a 72x18x24. I like the longer tank better, but I'm still researching. All help is appreciated.

Thanks again.

My personal opinion between those two tank sizes, would be to go for the 60X24X24. With the 24" wide/depth you have more room front to back for aquascaping (and you'd be surprised what 6 inches will do). Although 6 ft is a nice length.....I'd say its a toss up.

Keep us updated on your planning process!

I've been contemplating this as well. I have PC lights over glass tops and I have to constantly clean the glass. I'd like to take out the glass but I've heard that the evaporation will mess up my lights since they're only about 1.5 inches from the water surface. Would it be safe to take out the glass tops in this situation?

If you go 72"Long then I'd go 24"D & only 20"H, My last tank was 60"L x 20"H x 20"D, I had no complaints about the height just being 20" but wished for 24" deep, I think that would of made a big difference IMO!

lshin037 said:
I've been contemplating this as well. I have PC lights over glass tops and I have to constantly clean the glass. I'd like to take out the glass but I've heard that the evaporation will mess up my lights since they're only about 1.5 inches from the water surface. Would it be safe to take out the glass tops in this situation?

How much splashing of the surface water do you have? Are you having heat issues?

NaH2O said:
How much splashing of the surface water do you have? Are you having heat issues?

When I clean the glass tops, there are about 7 ~ 8 spots of salt. At night, it's covered in condensation. The temp is constant at around 82.

Back