newbie needs advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

wow, amazing how much small things can make a differnce, the bioballs that are curently in the skimmer are round, but about 3/4 the size as the standard ones you see. is that cool at all?

it's prolly fine, but you will get better results with the diamonds, the main thing about the bioballs in a etss is keeping them clean,
or replacing them every 5-6 months, before they get all crudded up with calcium. bioballs are cheap, just get the lee's diamond ones.. :)

MY update is I am trying to get all the overtime at work I can to fund this adventure as I want to be prepared financially to deal with any probs that may arise, IE if i need to buy a chiller etc. still in the planning phase...don't want to drill any holes I regret, but have got the pump, skimmer and return figured and mostly hooked up. I'm thinking on going with 100bls of dry pukani for now from BRS and see what kind of chunks they send and then perhaps look for more sexy pieces if thats what I need. changed my mind about the 100 gal fuge, going with a 40fuge and additonal 50 for a conjoined sump (with 2 inch pipe beside the 19 current sump)giving me a total water volume around 200gal.

whats all your thought on the pukani?

and YES I would love any invites to see your set-ups!!! anyone within 30 miles? I work day shift 06-230 and am off wednesday and thursdays.

Hey, just noticed your post after talking with you tonight. Bring plenty of questions when you come to see me tomorrow about the sump and otherwise technical stuff. I am a huge knowledge base and you'll aquire plenty after seeing my build realtime!

Deborah

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/f13/peninsula-250-deep-dimension-new-build-diy-60184/

An answer to your query regarding silent running on my system.

This is a modified design I used on the new system where the ball valve can be located in sump cabinet out of view compaired with the original design found on Reef Central. I found that single union ball valves work fine and less expensive. Regarding the sump I sold you I used sponge blocks to screen oversized particals rather than filter socks. The sponge fit well in the area where the water flowed over the removable baffle toward the divider on the sump. You could use lighting screen grids trimmed to the incomming compartment w/ zip tie or pvc cut to sandwich them w/ filter floss resting between each level/barrier for removing fine detrius. If made into tower, this is good option if layered air cooling is needed on warm days w/o a chiller.

Oh so much to info to learn...
Deb

BeanAnimal.jpgBean AnimalB.jpg

Last edited:
Back