Newbie needs help

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skrezyna

Hey all,

I could really use some help. I have a 40g acryclic tank, not reef ready, with a stand and canopy. I wanted to runt he tank through a sump/refugium but need some help. I can fit a 20g with my screwy stand dimensions and would add baffles. I have a ASM G2 skimmer I want to use, waiting on a Quiet One 6000 return pump but was told i would have to have plumbing to do this?

I believe I would need someone to come by and help me understand if i can run the tank now as i have it or if i need to buy more items.

Im in NE Seattle.

Thanks.

Do you want to know how to route the water flow from your tank down to your sump and back up is that the question? Do you have a glass tank and an overflow box or is it acrylic ? I belive once the return pump comes in you could place the skimmer in the sump and if the water is routed to and from the sump you shouldnt have many problems with that.

Last edited:
Its an acrylic and i was given a beat up overflow box with 2 seperate pieces (one piece in the water, other hangs outside of tank) with the tank when i bought it from a seller.

i've always been under the impression that you can drill acrylic tanks with no problem. if that is true, you might want to consider doing that and using the (rr) built in overflow. it's safer, and quieter.
like plack, i'm not entirely sure about what your question is, but by plumming they mean hoses and pvc piping. with either the built in, or over-the-back type overflow, you have to get the water from the bottom of the overflow down to the sump. this is usually done with hose or pvc pipe. then you need pvc piping to go from the output of the return pump, back up to the aquarium.
you can use the search function on this site to search 'plumming' or 'overflow'.

yes, Id rather have it drilled. Anyone know of someone who can drill the two holes and place the fittings on them? I can buy the pvc and whatnot from HomeDepot and finish the rest. What is the (rr) built in overflow? I dont have a built in over flow on my tank but Id like to have one installed.

Last edited:
Should the two drilled holes be on the opposite upper rears of the tank? Does the overflow standpipe go down through the bottom of the tank or through the back?

they can be. some people drill the back glass of the tank instead of the bottom. this is usually done with a glass tank because the bottom glass is tempered (can't be drilled)
so they drill holes in the back.
you can do it either way, in fact, you can (with an acrylic tank) put the holes pretty much anywhere that you want

Back