Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tyee

Hi all...Had a sw aquarium years ago, looking to get back in....thinking 125 euro....now suffering from lighting frustration....so many choices....I do know, I've got to have the shimmer....:bowl:

Haha!!! I love the shimmer myself!! Looks like it will be either metal halides or L.E.D's for you!!! :D. BTW, Welcome aboard!! :welcome:

Would luv to go w/ led but hav'nt been that impressed w/ them.....could be ; just dont know/understand them...plus on a 125 ga it will be $$$$$$$$$$$

Welcome aboard tyee!! On the lighting the best thing to do is to decide what are you looking to keep?? Fo?, Soft? hard? sps?? wheres the end game for ya

Mojo

Wel then your going to be looking at some good light with par, how deep is your tank going to be.

Mojo

If your keeping a reef I would suggest no more than 24 inch height it is ideal. Currently I have metal halides and VHO I run my lights 6-8 hours a day set on timers. And have a small actnic light for night time. I would suggest don't put too much light cuz it can spurt algae growth. Do some research and know what you want before you buy. Btw clams require a sufficient amount of light. Most importantly be patient and make sure your tank cycles. Good luck.

22 inches=mojoreef;611345]Wel then your going to be looking at some good light with par, how deep is your tank going to be.

Mojo[/QUOTE]

If your keeping a reef I would suggest no more than 24 inch height it is ideal. Currently I have metal halides and VHO I run my lights 6-8 hours a day set on timers. And have a small actnic light for night time. I would suggest don't put too much light cuz it can spurt algae growth. Do some research and know what you want before you buy. Btw clams require a sufficient amount of light. Most importantly be patient and make sure your tank cycles. Good luck.
Was looking at the Maristar 48'" 250 MH t5 combo inthe classified....what do you think?

If your tank is 24" high you would want to go for metal halides. But if it's like 18 VHO's is the way to go. If you have the money to get it I say get it but ask yourself is it necessary for "my reef". I know there is a lot of opinions out there and this is mine. I think for a 55 this light is unnecessary. You might fight your water overheating and all depends of your climate where your at. Good luck.

Back