Niger Trigger in reef

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

poakley723

I really like Niger Triggers and an thinking I may take the gamble of putting on in my 125 when I set it up. I wanted to hear some success and horror stories about people having triggers in there reef tank. I know that if you do put any aggressive fish in your tank you should always add them last. I have also read a few posts about people having triggers in there tank with no trouble. Just looking for opinions mostly.

Thanks Nick

i had a pink tail for a long time he would occasionaly nip my monti but that was it i heard nigers are even better behaved

It depends on what you mean by reef safe. I had a niger trigger for a good 8mths in a reef and he was a model citizen. Never touched any corals or fish. Even let the cleaner shrimp take rides on his face and give him a good cleaning. He did nip at snails every now and then though. Then after 8mths was up i came home one day after work and found every fish in my tank hiding in the corners. My niger had gone nuts and decided to tear into every fish. He was going from corner to corner and tearing fin off. I immediately got some credit for him at a lfs. I personally wouldn't do that again. I'd stick with a blue jaw myself. There better looking anyhow.

My suggestion would be to find one as small as possible, keep it in a QT tank and slowly introduce some reef inhabitants to see what his reaction is. This way, if does eat a shrimp or snail right when you put him in, you will know before he runs a muck in the big tank and you can't catch him. I had a smaller one in my reef tank for 2yrs and he never bothered anyone.(until he jumped out :()

Good luck, and fish like that are truly a guessing game...You don't know until you experience the particular fish you get. Good luck

-augustus

^^^you could try that, problem is there behavior changes dramatically when they start to mature. Jekyll and hyde syndrome : )

Unfortunately, even the 'nice Triggers' sometimes go over to the 'darkside' and reek havoc in their environment. It seems to be that when they age, they become like this.

My theory is that they are not fed properly, don't receive the proper nutrition, and not given enough space. In the wild they swim long distances as they get older, and I don't think they do well (in general) when large and in the confines of a small home aquarium.

Unfortunately, even the 'nice Triggers' sometimes go over to the 'darkside' and reek havoc in their environment. It seems to be that when they age, they become like this.

My theory is that they are not fed properly, don't receive the proper nutrition, and not given enough space. In the wild they swim long distances as they get older, and I don't think they do well (in general) when large and in the confines of a small home aquarium.

Very interesting...So intern would you only suggest Rhinecanthus, Sufflamen, and Xanthichthys Genus' in the captive world (wether it be reef or not) or none at all? This would be very helpful as I do love these fish and anything I can learn from would be great.

Thanks,

-augustus

What My aquarium book says

I read in my aquarium book that i have that Odonus Triggers are among the most mild manered and actually that is the one I like. I just like the blue gray color they have. But also looking now i see that they are suposed to get to 20 inches! That would be to big for my tank. Heck it would probably be to big for a 300 gallon. Not sure how long it takes for them to grow that large but i really don;t think i have ever seen one over 6 inches.

My suggestion would be to find one as small as possible, keep it in a QT tank and slowly introduce some reef inhabitants to see what his reaction is.

From what i understand is that would kind of make him dominant in the QT tank and as you introduce new things to the tank they would be invading his tank. I would think that would kind of make him kill the new guys.

From what i understand is that would kind of make him dominant in the QT tank and as you introduce new things to the tank they would be invading his tank. I would think that would kind of make him kill the new guys.

That is exactly the point of it :). If he can handle that, he should be able to handle the reef right? Most people WILL add other inverts to a reef tank quit often, so this would give the same effect. Also, I am not saying to just throw in a shrimp and let it swim down, because I have tangs that would take the "bite" test before relizing what it is. Instead, intruducing the shrimp and what not at night when the lights are out. That way, the next day the shrimp is on the rocks like it has been there the whole time...

Thanks,

-augustus

Niger in Reef

Smaller and in last is the way to go and they have several to choose from that are considered reef safe, but as always...remember; they are all still killers and could turn one day if they want to. I had a clown trigger that I trained not to bother everything but clams...but I'm sure that one day he would have gotton old enough and big enough and gone back to the dark side...Even after my months and months of training...Triggers are beautiful, but best suited for an aggresive tank.... Good luck

See pic.. :)

Attachments

• haggehometank 002.jpg
    haggehometank 002.jpg
    53.7 KB
Last edited:
Those are all fine choices, Augustus. Still, I would set up their own (large) tank and not risk a reef.

I read in my aquarium book that i have that Odonus Triggers are among the most mild manered and actually that is the one I like. I just like the blue gray color they have. But also looking now i see that they are suposed to get to 20 inches! That would be to big for my tank. Heck it would probably be to big for a 300 gallon. Not sure how long it takes for them to grow that large but i really don;t think i have ever seen one over 6 inches.
One thing to consider when reading a book is that they are largely based on comparison and averages and not all are based on personal experience but rather build on other scientists research. Expect the best, prepare for the worst ya'know?

Some fish nip, some fish don't, each has a personality, but expect a Trigger to be a Trigger and you won't go wrong.

I think Lee made a post about book references and how to choose one. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Back