Nitrate??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You mean replace the bio bale with carbon?

Not sure if it could be used in there because I've never used that type of skimmer/filter before, but if it can be used in there and the skimmer still function properly then by all means. Just replace it every week or two as carbon becomes exhausted (all used up) and must be replaced aferwards as it won't be able to absorb anything anymore out of the water. Also, it will become a detritus trap which is what we are trying to get away from. Most people will just run carbon in a bag in their sump if they have one or in a powerfilter, but if your bak pak can accomodate it, that will be fine:)

Last edited:
You mean replace the bio bale with carbon?

You could do it that way. Although I’m not sure as to how the water flows through a Bac-Pak. If the water flows through the skimmer section first before going through the bio-bale section that would be good. But if it’s the other way, it might hamper with the production of the skimmer.

I think ChemiPure is just a higher priced carbon. I used to use it. Now I use Black Diamond... much cheaper. I get it at my local Pets-Mart, along with the small sized filter media bags hanging nearby to put it in. Just use a small amount like say a cup full and change it out at least every other week. Oh... and make sure you at least rinse the dust out of it with ro/di water while it’s in the filter bag before you use it on your tank.

Nice explanation Krish!! :D

I just looked at Krish’s link... It looks like that would be a perfect place to put carbon.

Thanks krish75 and Haole.
I'm gone change water this Sunday and i'll remove bio bale put some carbon there.
I was trying another powerhad 900 gph but it was too much??
Any sugestions i have 200 gph how much more for my 29g tank????????

Well, it all depends on what you are trying to accomplish, but in my old 38gal (just 9 gals more than yours) I had almost 4,000 gph of flow in it and it wasn't too much. I have about 800 gph in my 24gal aquapod now and want more so I say add some more in there. You'll need to catch all the deadspots in your tank and keep any waste/detritus in suspension for your skimmer to catch.:)

I just did and everything was flying.
AquaClear 901 900gph

LOL! If it was detritus off of the rocks that was blowing everywhere then that is good! Let her rip and it will eventually clear up. You should blow off the rocks every day or so with a turkey baster or powerhead anyways to keep the rocks free of detritus. If it is the sand you are talking about then, yeah...That's why I don't use any:p I rather no sand and great flow than lack of flow, and algae issues:)

Yep sand and my tang and clown got under ther LR and LTA was flying

Bummer...My yellow tang use to swim into the flow for fun in my 38gal cube and here's a shot of what use to come out of the nozzles. Just imagine the bottom ones (one on either side) that didn't have any Y adaptors on them!:eek: He loved it and it and so did the clowns. I guess where they aren't use to it in your tank, they are a bit un-easy about it, but just imagine the ocean. A lot more current in the ocean than our tanks sometimes:)

aloo1: If you feel like you need something to fill the void that the bio-bale left behind, I heard people like to put LR rubble in the Bak Pak in place of the bio bale. You could stick a lil' baggie of carbon at the bottom and fill the remainder with rubble. Just a fancy schmancy idea ;)

aloo1: If you feel like you need something to fill the void that the bio-bale left behind, I heard people like to put LR rubble in the Bak Pak in place of the bio bale. You could stick a lil' baggie of carbon at the bottom and fill the remainder with rubble. Just a fancy schmancy idea

The only real problem with that is with rubble, you get no added benefit of denitrification because of the size of the live rock you'll have to use in that skimmer to fit, so you end up with basically the same thing as running the bio-bale. You need rock mass with anaerobic zones which is usually found deep inside the live rock where oxygen is basically void (hope I worded that right:p )

Hrmmm...good to know. I learn something new everyday! I have not tried it myself, but have heard from others that they like to "stuff it" :p

krish my tank and my LTA i did the change i removde bio bale and i place some carbon,water change last night and i'm going to LFS for more LR.

Speaking of nitrates...

:) Hi,

I am still struggling with nitrates. I have been doing everything. I mean how clean does the darn tank have to be of detris? And my question now after reading Krish's explaination is to have that anaroebic area in the live rock what size chunks are we talking about? Is bigger better and is density of the rock important? Meaning is porous better or not better?

Oh and happy Sunday everyone:p
Debbie

krish my tank and my LTA i did the change i removde bio bale and i place some carbon,water change last night and i'm going to LFS for more LR.

Cool...Nice looking tank!:) On the live rock, make sure to cure it in a seperate container if it's not already cured incase you experience some die off that may cause a small cycle in your tank:)

Hi,

I am still struggling with nitrates. I have been doing everything. I mean how clean does the darn tank have to be of detris? And my question now after reading Krish's explaination is to have that anaroebic area in the live rock what size chunks are we talking about? Is bigger better and is density of the rock important? Meaning is porous better or not better?

Oh and happy Sunday everyone
Debbie

Hey Debbie...Sorry to hear you are still having nitrate issues.:doubt: The problem with nitrates is they take a lot longer to get rid of than ammonia and nitrite does. The actual process of denitrification is a slower process so that is why it takes so long. It took my tank about 9-10 months to drop off all traces of nitrates and at about 5 months in, I only had about 5-10ppm of nitrates so that goes to show how long. The more pourus the rock, the better, but like I said, it just takes time as the tank needs to find it's balance so in the meantime, all we can do is keep up with our water changes and skim:)

Ok

Well at least I am getting some arm muscles:badgrin: from lifting all those 5 gallon water containers.

Oh, I forgot something my CPR backpack skimmer is working quite well and has gotten a lot quieter :D but most of the really thick stuff builds up in the tube going up and never makes it in the cup. should I clean the inside of that tube or does that slime help the skimmer? Anyone?

Last edited:
Back