Nitrates/Phosphates Removal tips?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jgraeff

Jgraeff
Ok so i now have a huge thing of chaeto and two smaller clumps that came with pods so i can start reproducing more for my mandarin. I have 7 red mangroves, ulva, and flame algae in my refuge. I put my big hermit down there and he cleaned up all the detritus in the refuge. I have turbos down there to eat the diatom algae it is pretty much completely gone.

Is there any thing else i should add to help remove phospates and nitrates?

I have been doing weekly water changes of 10g but im not sure if i should be doing more since i have a total of about 45g included the refuge?

I have a skimmer running and i am selling it today but have a swc extreme 160 on order and i hope it will arrive soon!

The upgrade in skimmer will help a lot, as long as it's a good skimmer. I'm not familiar with that one. Your weekly water changes are great!!! Keep them up. You can change more if you want to. IMO, you can change as much as half of your water without any ill effect, as long as your new water is at the same salinity and pH. I've forgot, are you using RO/Di water? If I remember correctly, you are.

The Macros in your fuge will also go a long way towards helping! Remind us again what your fish load is. You might consider cutting back on feeding some, until you get your nitrates under control.

i sadlly only have a pair of carlkis and a mandarin goby with lots of turbos and hermits. I have been feeding small amounts every other day. skimerwhisperer recommend the skimmer and says its the best for its money so im taking his advice. I am using ro water. I hope i can get my own filter here pretty soon.

My nitrates are about 20-30 ppm and i hope they keep going down. I will keep up with the water changes, however do you know of anywhere i can buy salt for cheaper i have been buying red sea coral pro and it does 55g for 25$. That about 3-4 water changes.

If Skimmy suggested it....DO IT!!! Yikes, that's expensive!! I don't know about Florida, but I know you can buy Instant Ocean cheaper than that, online!! Including shipping!! There was a thread on here the other day about somewhere that had IO on sale online...but for the live of me, I can't find the thread!! I know it entailed buying the box that mixes up 200 gallons and for 2 boxes, shipped, it was a great deal!!

ok i will look for it, do you know of any sites that sell it cheaper? Yes it is very expensive and im not sure why its so high here. And ya im pretty sure he knows his stuff so i ordered it last night.

Sounds like youll be all set once that skimmer gets here. Now its time to sit back and let nature do its thing. Your phosphates and nitrates will slowly be consumed by your algae, and in a few weeks, once things are established, you should notice a vast improvment.

Back