nitrates

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jmlee31

try as I might, I can't keep my nitrates lower tha 20 ppm in my 29 g reef tank. I think I've tried everything. Any advice?

First of all, welcome. How mature is your tank? What filtration system do you use? Regular maintenance? Skimmer? Water changes? Overstocked? As already mentioned, a refugium is always good. It increases the water volume and you can place macroalgae, LR, LS... in there.
I just built a denitrator three weeks ago for rather experimental purposes for a 20 g tank and fed it about 20 - 30 ppm nitrate. It's already producing ~ 0 ppm nitrate in the output and processes about 3 - 4 g/day.
A denitrator can bring your nitrates down but you still need to identify the source of your nitrate spike.

I have plenty of live rock and about 3 -4" of live sand. A seaclone hang-on that is very difficult to keep producing. I have a canister that I occasionally use. I do water changes of about 1/6 the water every week. 1 damsel, 1 clown, 1 tang, 1 bubble anemone, some lps, mushrooms, yellow polyps and xenia. I don't have room for a sump. I now know the seaclone is sub par. Is there a better hang on skimmer anyone can suggest?

Welcom RF! Most of us have all had to battle with nitrates at one point or the other, so don't worry too much. Like Charlyclown mentioned, how mature is the tank? Also with cannister filters that use filter floss etc. if not changed regularily (like every day or 2) can create a problem by having wastes breaking down causing nitrate problems. Maybe that might be a problem. Also, if you don't have sufficient flow in the tank, it can cause a build up detritus which too can lead to nitrates if they aren't removed from the tank. Just a few thoughts I thought I should throw out...

I agree with Krish, cannister filters can be a pain.
First, I would get a good skimmer like the AquaC Remora w/1200 MJ. Then, you should assess if you've got enough flow in your tank. You should aim for at least 600 gph flow, more would be better. Then, if you don't do it already, I would blow off gently the rocks with a small powerhead or turkey buster prior to water changes. Then, you should assess if you don't overfeed. Then, if your nitrates are still high, I would give a denitrator a try, which is easy to build and at your nitrate level would kick in a few weeks. Eventually, if everything else fails, you may have to 'cook' your LR if it's old and probably saturated or deal with the SB if necessary. Also, in the long run, you could add a hang-on refugium if possible.

karl

Back