no-ich in sps is it really safe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

gregreefer

so my fish have some ick im thinking of buying no-ick marine but is it truly safe with sps corals please help thanks

i would catch the fish and do a proper qt.it is the only way to be 100% sure. you will be happier in the long run

If a treatment will kill ich, it will kill corals. Hypo is the only safe treatment for fish and leaving the reef fallow is the only cure...

im not wasting money and risking my corals qt is gonna be set up tomorrow its gonna be a pain but its better then killing my fav oregon tort

You'll want to make sure your display tank stays totally fishless for 6-8 weeks. During the same period, do a hyposalinity treatment in your QT tank for the same 6-8 weeks. At least 2 weeks after all visible signs of Ich are gone. Make sure to keep your salinity at 1.09, as anything higher won't guarantee the killing of the Ich.

It does exist in nature. Nature does not exist in our living room.

Don

Cancer and diseases are also present in nature, doesn't mean to ignore it. Fish die in nature and they often live shorter lifespans than as our cared for protected fed pets. If your dog had a bat sucking it's blood, would you just sit and watch?

Run Hypo treatment or watch ich come and go on all your fish and risk watching them get sicker.

Cancer and diseases are also present in nature, doesn't mean to ignore it. Fish die in nature and they often live shorter lifespans than as our cared for protected fed pets. If your dog had a bat sucking it's blood, would you just sit and watch?

Run Hypo treatment or watch ich come and go on all your fish and risk watching them get sicker.

I think its just a good idea to be proactive with a closed system. You never know when something as simple as ich will rear it ugly head. Aquariums are in no way natural and things cannot run their natural course like they do in nature.
I did try kick ich quite afew years ago and it wiped out my tank. Not sure if treatments have changed or not.

Don

Ich does occur in nature, but it's not naturally in our reef tanks. Contrary to what some believe, Ich is not present in all fish. In nature, especially on the coral reefs, there's cleaning stations where thousands upon thousands of fish cue up in line to be cleaned. There's also perfect water quality, or as perfect as it can get. Fish that do get Ich in nature have a much better chance of "kicking it" than they do in our glass boxes. If you hold to the philosophy of letting Ich run it's course, it won't be long until you lose fish. Get the Ich out of the display and then QT everything that goes into the display.

The size of the reefs v/s containment and limited sleeping locations is part of the picture.
In the wild, tangs as example rarely sleep in the same location once, always being on the move.

Wasps are found in nature. Most people quite safe from them. Putting an angry hive in your car while locked inside the closed doors could be a different matter.

Last edited:
You'll want to make sure your display tank stays totally fishless for 6-8 weeks. During the same period, do a hyposalinity treatment in your QT tank for the same 6-8 weeks. At least 2 weeks after all visible signs of Ich are gone. Make sure to keep your salinity at 1.09, as anything higher won't guarantee the killing of the Ich.

Mike, I really like the way that sounds...lol Sounds like a movie or something

I tried no-ich marine w/ limited success. one of my blue xenias didn't fare so well, but most of my corals made it. raised the temp to 82, doubled the dosage as recommended by the manufacturer. My sps and lps pretty much made it but my PBT didn't kick the ich. put her into QT with Binox and cleared her up in 7 days. About to reintroduce the PBT and see how it goes.

Wish me luck.

tkmat,
I would suggest reading up on the life cycle of marine ich. This parasite has several stages in its life cycle and only part of that is actually on the fish, and even when on the fish is only in the visible nodule stage part of the time. I suspect from your statement "cleared her up in 7 days" your fish is not truly cured, rather the parasite has just moved on to a different, non visible stage.

Here is a good link to begin reading up on the life cycle:

Marine Ich - Myths and Facts

and another one on a proven treatment for this parasite

A Hyposalinity Treatment Process

IMO, There is no good cure in a bottle and you really are just wasting your money and risking your fish by trying. I lost a gorgeous Copper Band butterfly because I was trying the "cure in the bottle" method, which seemed to initially work (couldn't see it anymore so it must be gone) but when it came back a week later it was worse than ever and I began losing fish. I finally broke down and set up a hospital tank and used hypo and was able to kick the problem.

Hypo is your best bet. LIke mentioned before leaving your tank fallow for 6-8weeks and you can't risk adding new corals during this time as you could introduce ick this way as well. Or inverts...anything wet basically. I'm a big believer that fish will fight it off after they have been in a mature tank for some time. In the beginning i had ick outbreaks for the first 10-12mths, using hypo and even coppersafe to cure the fish. After 3 yrs of my current setup being up i don't worry about ick as all the fish can fight it off easily. The big thing i wonder about is ick present in your system if no fish is infected? If it has a host but the host is immune can ick survive? I would argue that it can't survive if it can't attach, but i don't really think that can be proven by myself : ) Sorry about the rant!

Back