Noisy MJ1200 with Sure Flow 1600 propeller kit

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jhowerton

I bought a new MJ-1200 and the Sure Flow 1600 Maxi-Jet Upgrade Kit. Its been running for about three days and is very noisy and is vibrating a lot. It does alternate from quiet to noisy about every couple of minutes. Its running continuously (no wavemaker). Will it break in soon or do I have a defective product???

TIA

Hard to say, I've done a few MJ mods with out that particular kit. I've had very little niose problems. Might want to contact the Sure Flow and question them.

HTH

I bought two. One out of the box has operated silently for a couple months. The other was pretty noisy at first, but I took it the impeller/prop out and reinstalled it a couple times and it is much quieter now.

hey,
I just put two together tonight and i got the same deal, one is perfect but the other one is jumping and chattering like a adhd kid on crack!!!!! i've taken it apart twice. mabe the third time is a charm... did you ever resolve yours jhowerton?? maybe i'll call them...

well... i cut a piece of the air line tube that came with the maxi jet and put it on the rod in front of the prop so it wouldn't chatter anymore and alls that would happen is it would run backwards. yeah that was no good. then the stupid suction cup came undone and knocked over a bunch of my frags. i already broke one into three pieces on acident earlier tonight. last night i had a catistrophic sump set-up/meltdown which insued a 20 gallon water change not to mention a waste of $100. i guess what i'm tring to say is ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! $#!& ^%$#

I've had two for about 6-8 months now. They are not on a wavemaker, but do get turned off daily to feed the tank. They will occassionally make some chatter noise on re-start, but it goes away shortly.

Freeta.....get the magnets and you'll be much happier than playing w/ the suction cups.

Nick

ok thanks!! I got some mags from the hardware store today. if that doesn't work i'll spend the extra 50 on the algea free sure grips. the suction cups suck a$$!!

ok thanks!! I got some mags from the hardware store today. if that doesn't work i'll spend the extra 50 on the algea free sure grips. the suction cups suck a$$!!

I bought some ceramic magnets and glued them to the base of the sure flow kit. The magnets I found had plastic covers on them, but they aren't required.
I found that four $1 magnets worked just fine on 3/8" glass. 2 for the inside and 2 for the outside.

I'm running a couple that I purchased used here on RF and they're completely silent. Then again, they'd been totally cleaned and looked almost new when I received them. In fact...one looks IDENTICAL To the one Finn posted a pic of...lol. Same purple magnets. Hmmm Go figure. J/K Finn, they're working awesome. One's running on my 46, one on my 75 and I'm going to install the 3rd on my 75 today.

Back