noisy sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kcharm

I finally got my sump up and running, that only took like 4 months. It looks good, mostly...there are a couple of issues. First, the baffle in front of the pump section isn't perfectly straight up and down so I get little vortices that work a little air into that chamber which go in the pump and produce pretty little micro bubbles in my tank on occasion...I can fix this one (when I get around to it).

The next issue is that of noise...this thing is loud! I got rid of the gurgle from my CPR overflow, that was fun. I got rid of the gurgle that resulted from the end of the overflow pipe, that was a little easier. But, between the bubbles that are produced from this flow and the sound of the Mag9.5, the sump is anything but quiet.

Ideally, I'd fix the pump volume issue by switching to an Eheim 1262, but I don't have the money for that. What all can I do to promote a quiet and happier coexistance with my sump?

Also, if you have any chaeto in the Seattle area that you need to get rid of, I would be a happy recepient.

I agree on the mag 9.5 being noisy. I just got my sump/refugium up and running and my 9.5 is not very quiet. It is not a real problem but I am curious about anyone elses experience with a quieter pump.

Tim

Everything I've read on the Eheims make me think that they are the way to go...if you got the cash. Realistically, I need 2, the second for a planned closed loop.

I just hooked up a mag9.5 in a closed loop that sits out of the water and I can't hear it unless I open up my stand. I know one problem I have always had at some point with mag drives, is their impellers go bad and produce a lot of noise. How old is your mag9.5?

A couple things, one, make sure your drain is under the water level in the sump and I've read that if you put a tee on the end of the drain under the water, it flows out in two different directions making it a little less noisy.
Another thing, I use a sound reducing board on the inside of my stand. I just lined the doors and end panels with it. It does help.
You can get this at Home Depot.

My sump is also noisy. I have my drain under water but still have to listen to the gurgle from any air that happens to be in the drain line. My mag pump is not bad but the air is annoying.

I will be following along for other ideas.

DB

Slowing down the flow helps alot. The water doesnt have to be in a hurry to get thru the sump. That is as long as there are other flow devices in the tank.
Wrapping the pipes in rubber pipe wrap helps some.
Just tossing ideas out.
HTH

Aqua medic makes for a nice submersible return, very low power & very quite. Keep your pumps clean this helps, in time you will learn what it tanks to make a quiet sump, it takes lots of tinkering to get it right.

My biggest noise comes from the drain line bubbling under water, and also my skimmer(asm G-2) from the air tube.

DB

Been playing with the noisy sump and want to run a question by y'all. As part of my correcting my less then perpendicular mounting of the baffle for the chamber with the return pump in it, I discovered 3 things (some were obvious).

First, with a huge chamber for the return pump I have no micorbubbles in the display tank...vary cool.

Second, it's much quieter with the large chamber (might be from the lack of pump cavitation).

Third, top off isn't nearly as urdgent in a 10 gallon chamber as it is in a 2 gallon chamber!

O.k., here's the question...Instead of a true baffle, can I just use egg crate to seperate the fuge from the return pump? What am I trying to keep out of the pump that requires a baffle?

If I do need a baffle, my planned fuge will be smaller than originally planned!

Ken

Dieselbreath said:
My biggest noise comes from the drain line bubbling under water, and also my skimmer(asm G-2) from the air tube.

DB

Try putting a 90 degree elbow at the end of your line. I have no noise from my overflow at all. BUT I have mine draining direct into my skimmer. I also use a durso in my overflow the only thing I hear is the hum from my pumps.

Back