Noob here. Tanks with Pics!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gario

I just got rid of my freshwater setups to fund my saltwater fetish. Here are my two setups (just added one), with my problems. I am bad with remembering names of stuff, still working on it. Here goes:

FOWLR 80 gal - about 75lbs of LR, yellow tailed damsel, black/white damsel, fake perc, valentini? puffer, a handful of hermits.

260W 4x65watt coralife cp light, CPR overflow, 20 gallon sump with macroalgae and little starfish (I forgot the name?) (not sure if they're still alive), berlin protein skimmer, 3 powerheads.

Anyway, this tanks been up for a long time, over a year, and theres a ton of algae growth everywhere, more than the hermits can eat.

Recently, I attempted to add some coral and mushrooms to the tank, and my velvet blue damsel made a treat out of them, and nipped at corals (I gave him away, and sadly I gave the corals away as well). Now its back to fowlr. Also, the corals didn't seem very happy either the brief amount of time they were in there. Snails also do not seem to enjoy the tank, as they would die after a few weeks without sign.

I tested the water and ammonia and nitrates were both at 0, but the nitrates were high and I changed the water, about 20% every other day and got the nitrates back down, but they go back up really fast. pH is at 8.2, Calcium is at 450ppm, phosphates are probably high since I'm on tap water, but I will buy some phosphate pads later today.

I am pretty certain that my culprit lies in the substrate, which is pretty coarse crushed coral nitrate factory. How do I change the substrate with the least detrimental effect?
fakepercov0.jpg

yellowtaildamselxr3.jpg

pufferzc5.jpg

What kind of puffer is this?
puffer3fa7.jpg

Nitrate Factory
substratecrushedcoraltt5.jpg

Two days ago I bought my second tank, a 72 gallon tank I got for nearly nothing, then I bought a 130w coralife, and a 30 gallon sump I haven't set up yet. Currently running a backpack skimmer, hob filter, 3 powerheads, about 200lbs ish of LR with a couple of goodies in decent shape, except with a crazy pest problem that the previous owner gave up on.

Livestock include, 2 percs, a mandarin goby, 1 clarki, 2 purple blennies, assorted hermits (blue legged, 1 red, a few with black and white legs (name?) )
some purple mushrooms, a white bubble anemone (unsure of name), I believe some GSP, and possibly a kenya tree, and some unknown coral (see pics)

Parameters go something like this
pH - looks like 8.2 or 8.4 (got the color card thing wet)
amonia - 0
nitrites - 0
nitrates - 5.0 ppm (mg/L)
calcium - over 450mg/L??? (I might have done the test incorrectly, but I don't think so, I measured it up to 480ppm)
phosphates 0.8-1.0 (still using dechlorinated tap water) (can't quite afford RO water yet)

I think the nitrates were even higher before, as I changed about 20% of water when I got it. Will do another one shortly. Can I get enough snails and crabs to take care of the algae that results from phosphates? Are there any other detrimental effects to phosphates and tap water?

Also, this tank has a bubble algae, hair algae, red algae, you name it, I got it. And to make the situation worse, I've got aiptasia and majano anemonies all over the place. I think I'll chance the aiptasia with some $5 peppermint shrimp, (which I think will look good anyway, should I get like 3?). I'm trying to stray away from buying more stuff because I'm the college budget kind of person, so I might try the boiling water injection method on the majanos... comments?

frontview2vc9.jpg

Front shot.

greentippedthingku2.jpg

greentippedthingsef8.jpg

perculaspx5.jpg

That white anemonie in the back, whats the name of it?

pestsik5.jpg

pests!!

purplemushroomsmr1.jpg

mushroom coral (anemones are getting kind of close to these)

Like I said before, this is a tank that hasn't been groomed and controlled before the algae bloom. Here are more pics, let me know if you spot anything strange.

Last edited:
The puffer is a Canthigaster solandri: spotted sharpnose puffer or toby. Some nice bluespotted ones come from the Red sea, but they come fom other areas in the Indo-pacific range. Nice fish. Need a better pic of the anemone for ID

nice 72 bow what kind of light do you have on it i know it is a 130w but what kind couse you might want to swich your tank lights couse the 260w pc would be better with your anemones couse thay need more light. and the pest prob wow those are big i have found them in my tank and i use a turky baster with hot boiling water and it kills them and the water is free lol.
hope to see more pic's.
and a big welcome to RF
"no ? is dumb the only dumb ? is one not asked"
so welcome to the family
good luck
Brandon

Wow..

Well lets see.. Do you know why the water is cloudy?
Ditch the tap water, it will make this hobby short for you. You can pick up a RODI system for around $120 that will save you in the long run.
Start nuking! Get rid of all those pests now and you will enjoy a lot more later.
I like how the rock is laid out, a lot of nice places for the fish.

The water was cloudy when I took the pic because it was the first night I put it all together.

Hey mike! Good seeing ya on the forums, thanks again!

Yep, I've been shopping around for an RO unit for a while, it is definitely a must.

Right now the lighting in that tank is a 130watt PC and a 2x 40watt fluorescent. I will swap the lights once I get some new bulbs for the 260watt.

good thinking i would swich the lights i was just trying to help and what are you runing in the sump??????????? do you have a pic of the sump?????????
do you have any ??????????????????
Brandon

Hi back at yah Gar! My favorite method for nuking pest anemones, is by spraying a shot of boiling water right in their mouth with a plastic hypo. You will be amazed how fast they will be gone.

hay mike do you have a pic of one of your plastic hypo??????? so i know what you are talking about

I'm not sure he'd do it for anyone because he names his own prices on the spot, but I go to QT aquarium in Chinatown and he gives me kinda decent pricing at times. I got a big yellow tang for 30 bucks, and like 4 turbos for 10. If you buy more, he'll discount them.

Anyway, the bowfront doesn't have a sump right now. I just got it and basically named off what it came with. I'm working on it. I found an abomination of a sump and one side of it looks like cottage cheese. I'm in the process of getting acrylic cut for replacing that wall.

pics:

garppc00011cl6.jpg

garppc00012zv4.jpg

I've got a quarantine/live rock maker with a heater and powerhead. This is where I'm doing the anemone genocide.

garppc00014nf4.jpg

And this is the 20 gallon tank made into sump, for my 80 gallon tank. Should I remove the filter floss media? and the bio balls? I've got a few pieces of LR as well in there.

garppc00015wp5.jpg

Last edited:
Would you guys recommend me fragging the coral that I have right now, and glueing them on rocks that don't have aiptasia and majanos?

Hold off on fragging coral since you can nuke the pests on the rock in the display. Toss the bio balls, leave the filter material only until the water is clear.

i was going to tell you the same thang but mike bet me to it lol and get some chato see if mike has some he can toss your way.

Here is an update on my tank. I reorganized/removed a lot of the rock, began nuking and giving away majanos, added two peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and a yellow tang. I also found a few mushrooms that I didn't notice before. I found a mushy long grey thing in my substrate and pulled it out. It's got some debris stuck on it... is it some kind of algae?

wtfisthisuu6.jpg

In addition to what I have above, there are two blennys, a mated pair of true percs, a clarki, and a mandarin goby. I think I'm done with adding fish, maybe a few snails.

sidezc2.jpg

perculaandtanghd7.jpg

front3eo3.jpg

front4tq2.jpg

cleanershrimpkl4.jpg

mandaringobyqw4.jpg

Hope your mandarin learns to eat frozen foods if not already. Their predominant natural food is pods, and a newer tank rarely offers enough of them to keep the fish from gradually starving to death. Glad all else is going well.

Back