Nori to tangs

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
Happy New Year All!
What is the best way to feed Nori to fish?
I have tried few ways but no success...If i leave it floating the fish don't touch it, i have it attached wiht a suction cup and still nothing. Should i tie it to a rock and see if the fish will get attracted? I have a purple tang and an empror angel that i would think would want to eat this. The fish are eating shrimp and flakes but not nori or any green leaves (I tried lettuce as well). Suggestions?

I was also tired of the clips, and my tangs would rip it off as fast as it went in. So I have a a (small) rock tied to a fishing line that hangs about 2in into my tank. Then I just rubber band the sheets to the rock. They can't pull it off right away, so it gives all 7 of them a more even chance.

Good luck, and there are lots of cool ways...see what works for you :)

-augustus

Are you just clipping the sheet on or how are you preparing the sheet to clip? Fold it up like a paper fan....then fold one end over a few times to make it fairly thick. Put that part in the clip. Makes it a lot stronger and the fish have to really work at it. My Spotted Rabbitfish enjoys playing Tug-O-War with it...lol. Kinda acts like a dog with a rope...shaking itself back and forth to tug off a piece.

I folded a piece of gutter guard in half to make a sort of pocket, then put the nori into that. I clip it with a lettuce clip and suction it to the side of the tank. The fish can pull it out a bite or so at a time.

I have a piece of pvc pipe on a piece of fishing line I drop in the tank. I don't use nori. You can buy a bag of seaweed at Asian stores. It does not break up like nori and the fish love it.A $3 bag lasts for months. Just break off a 3" piece, rubber band it and it reconstitutes into a couple of inches wide and lasts a couple of days in the tank

I got tired of having my tang and fox face rip the nori from the clip or from the elastic around the small rock trick only to have a big piece get lost in the rock. So I just take scissors and cut 1/16 inch x 2 inch strips and then fold it so it is small and hold it under water and press it against the glass to remove air bubbles so it doesn't float then let it go and it slowly sinks and my tang eats about 3 or 4 strips daily along with some pellets and there is no waste.

Back when I had a foxfaced rabbitfish, I used to by the Nori from an Asian food market. I would buy the plain, unseasoned or unflavored nori. I would then tear it into long thin strips and handfeed it my foxface. He would slurp it down like it was spaghetti.

I had a sailfin that did not touch Nori until I added a Naso. He then copied the Naso who went right after the nori. Maybe soak the Nori in some garlic to give it a smell to attract the fish to try it. Once they start eating it, it probably will not matter where you put it.

I use the standard suction cup clip and Ocean Nutrition Seaweed Selects. My powder blue tang, desjardini tang, potter's angel and melanurus wrasse all eat it right off the clip. My percula clowns will often eat the scraps generated by the others, but usually won't eat it off the clip. I believe fish will often ignore nori when it's first introduced until they see another fish eat it. My fish are well past that stage, though.

I had trouble getting my fish to eat nori from the clip until somebody told me about selcon.

Get some and put a few drops on the nori before you put it in the tank, let it soak in for a minute, the fish will go crazy for the nori.

After two or three times of this you wont have to use the selcon every time and the fish will be watching you prepare the clip through the glass waiting for you to put it in the tank.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI...ion=view&idProduct=AM1511&idCategory=FIADTEFS

Asian Seaweed

Here's a couple of pics of the seaweed. I put a pic of the bag as I am having a problem reading the name on it. Maybe someone else could tell me what it says. All my herbivores have always loved it. Since it is actually real leaves vs ground up whatever in sheets. It stays together and does not fall apart in the tank. It will last for several days if the fish do not eat it all.

if you have a magfloat magnet to clean your tank..clip the seaweed to it..works just the same and save you a couple of bucks. :)

Back