not coral frenzy..clownfish frenzy!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker577

Wow let me tell ya..I picked up some frozen formula one today and the clownfish LOVE it!!!

I think you are still of the age where you know that some things you love are not necessarily good for you. :D

It's the same with fish. Make sure you read all labels of prepared foods carefully. That is, read the ingredients list. Have you read this post regarding fish nutrition?
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

It's a long read but worth it because you can gain the experience of people more than 37 years in the hobby, without a single fish loss or dieing before its time. :)

Indeed I have read it, I wouldnt've gotten it though if I haven't heard such good things online and in forums about it, it's packed with a ton of protein and trace elements, krill, squid, plankton, off the top of my head

Shrimp, krill, gel binder, spinach, clams, krill hydrolysate, sardine meal, plankton, salmon egg oil, squid, kelp, lecithin, casein, paprika, canthaxanthin, cod liver oil, astaxanthin, vitamins (choline chloride, ascorbic acid including stabilized vitamin C, vitamin E supplement, niacin, thiamine mononitrate, folic acid, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin, menadione sodium bisulfite chloride, vitamin B-12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, beta-carotene supplement, biotin), amino acids (dl-methionine, taurine, lysine), and trace elements of manganese sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, and sodium selenite.

OMG Lee dood !!!

thanks for the homework ...you sure know what you're talking about when it comes to fishes :D

Good ingredient list, joker577. Sounds right for a carnivore or omnivore fish. You just need to supplement this kind of mix with more vegetables for the Anemonefish.

spongebob lover,

Kind of you to say so. :)

Good to see im finally doing something right :rolleyes:...I saw on your list that kelp is one of the vegetables to use and it has kelp in it

Good ingredient list, joker577. Sounds right for a carnivore or omnivore fish. You just need to supplement this kind of mix with more vegetables for the Anemonefish.

spongebob lover,

Kind of you to say so. :)

I agree with Lee. Studies of clownfishes in the wild (of which I can't recall or quote the study at the moment) have found that algae is actually a significant part of a clownfish diet. They checked for stomach contents, so it is definite proof. I need to finish the feeding section in that workshop...sometime...

Formula 1 is a great food. The company that is now Ocean Nutrition made Formula 1 as a clownfish food. That is what it was specifically made for (back in the day). However, it is now a staple frozen food for many fish.

For algae, one of the easiest ways is to add Spirulina algae. One option is the OSI Spirulina Flakes. You can mix that in.

Lee will know other algaes that will be good, as well.

Best,
Ilham

Ilham you should write a book. I say this in all seriousness. Publishing is not that hard and you have so much to offer so many. Why not get the recognition and returns from your years of research and experience?

Here's my diet for the clowns/jawfish...I try to keep it as diverse as possible..
Wake up: 9:30-11:00 everyday
TetraMarine Flakes
5:30-6:30
Mysis Shrimp
11:30-12:30 pm
Formula 1 Frozen Food

i just give them flakes the whole time but sometimes i get live food when i have partys for the little kids to see them eat taht is a reason i want a lion fish so that when kids comeover i will feed them gold fishes just when they are over not as a main diet since it is not healthy.

well all of us have our own opion on how to feed our fishes just see what works out for u.

joker577,

A lot has been learned during these most recent 15 years on fish nutrition. We now know what is good and right for the fish.

If it is your intention to keep fish for more than a couple or three years, then they have to get the proper nutrition while in captivity. The proper foods/nutrition begins with what the fish eats in the wild. It is this food that the fish's internal system, digestive track, etc. depends upon to not just survive, but to thrive.

Although the fish may eat or seem to 'like' almost anything we put into the aquarium, we as aquarists have to make sure they are getting what they need.

Now that you know what the fish needs, the next step is making sure the fish gets the right ratio or quantity of these foods. Just because a preparation contains a good ingredient doesn't mean the fish is getting enough of it. Are we clear on this?

The omnivore marine fishes, like the Anemonefishes, need to target about 35% or more of their intake as vegetables. Is the kelp ingredient over 35%? I don't think so.

If you'll take the time and read (yes! more reading) this long post you'll get guidance on how to choose the best foods, and in what ratio you should be feeding them to your fishes:
Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

If you decide not to read the above then there isn't much more I can help you with. If you ask questions or make statements which indicate you have not read or not understood the above post, then there is not much more I can help you with. But if you have questions AFTER READING the post, please ask.

Good luck! :)

I've read it three times, but I just don't understand marine vegetables. Do you mean like Nori, kelp, algae,etc?

and also i cant get my clown to eat anything except flake and copepods. but i havent tried live food. also i have nori in the tank all the time since i have a 7inch yellow tang. and it never eats the nori.

Back