not coral frenzy..clownfish frenzy!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

joker,
Sorry if the post didn't make this clear. Suggested vegetables from that post include:
kelp
macro algae
spirulina
broccoli flowers (properly prepared)

You can also add micro algae (which spirulina is, in fact a type of micro algae). I avoid the human food called nori. Much of it is flavored or additives are put in to preserve it. Not worth the risk to me. However, you can and should try any (pure) algae just to start the fish eating.

Once a fish has learned to eat a specific product, it is very difficult for them to switch to what they should and need to eat. The aquarist doesn't have to follow these guidelines and continue to feed the fish what it doesn't eat and what doesn't provide the nourishment it needs, but the fish usually dies earlier and/or suffers with infections or conditions during its captive life that it wouldn't have, providing it was eating like it should.

If your fish is eating flakes, it is relatively easy to turn some macro algae into flake-size pieces or buy actual macro algae flakes (not processed flakes that contain algae or spirulina).

You should also read this post for other ideas and thoughts:
Yellow Tang wanting to eat carnivore.

In the case of Tangs, it is normal for very young ones to be more omnivore than herbivore. When they grow and begin to travel with the big ones over the reefs then they focus more on being herbivores. The transition from omnivore to herbivore usually doesn't go well in the aquarium. The aquarist can't stop them from eating the meaty foods the aquarist puts in for the other fishes. This is why a quarantine process is very important. It is the time to get the fish to eat macro algae before it is put in with the meat eaters. If that time is lost then it is a challenge to get the fish to eat some veggies, but not impossible. Again, refer to that post for some ideas.

:)

that was a good fourm u found us thz for it not i might try to put some romaine lettuce in the tank.

Back