Not in FAQ's (I hope)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Now that everyone has gotten their funnies off......

I am going to get a mag 5 for a return pump, put a rubbermaid container under my tank, it has short stand and can't be too tall, fill the bottom with sand, put a shorter smaller container on both ends, with holes around top 2-3" below water line, and use one for gravity feed from tank, using 600 gph quietflo overflow. Take off the penguin and work on getting a good skimmer to replace the pos visijet!

what say y'all?????

You know, I had somebody tell me to get rid of the crushed coral bed!!!

What else say y'all???

Last edited:
I'm trying to picture it but I'm still a bit confused :oops: . One question I have is why will you be using sand in the sump? Is it to run a dsb (deep sand bed) ? If so, you will have to have it pretty thick to be effective. I've heard atleast 7 inches or so. About the crushed corals, I used them before and took them out. The are said to cause nitrate issues so I said I'd get rid of them. People still use them with great success so it is totally up to you:)

Well since nitrates is my main issue, I guess they should go. I have to fish out a pretty healthy engineering goby anyway, may as well face it!

I've read 3-4" sandbed, is that only if you are putting it in the aquarium??

Would I be able to leave crushed coral in and really dsb in sump?

Can you tell I don't want to go out and buy sand now??!:cry:

The crushed corals from what I understand can be used on the top layer of a dsb. However, when you get into the lower regions, you want a finer grain because for denitrification to take place, their needs to be anaerobic bacteria present and anaerobic bacteria won't be present in the presence of oxygen which are found in crushed corals. Crushed corals don't pack so tightly together as finer grain sands so you have tons of little air pockets...:)

Back