Not so hot ric's and torch

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

as1720

Female Hermit crab
So i picked up some red ric's and a torch coral that were not doing so hot.

They are all open right now. is there anything i can do to help them along?

Eveything in my tank is 100% as far as my calcium/alk/nitrate.

my lights are 1x 250W DE HQI, 2x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 4x Dual Bluemoon LED

I have just had the fluorescents on, when should i turn the HQI on? The torch is in the middle of the tank. The rics are in the middle on the side. I just got them yesterday.

here are some pictures i dont know how to get better ones or if my camera can get better ones. But they are with just the LED's on.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/Pictures394.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/Pictures391.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/corals011.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/corals019.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y19/as1720/corals017.jpg

So i picked up some red ric's and a torch coral that were not doing so hot.

They are all open right now. is there anything i can do to help them along?

Eveything in my tank is 100% as far as my calcium/alk/nitrate.

my lights are 1x 250W DE HQI, 2x 65W Compact Fluorescent, 4x Dual Bluemoon LED

I have just had the fluorescents on, when should i turn the HQI on? The torch is in the middle of the tank. The rics are in the middle on the side. I just got them yesterday.

here are some pictures i dont know how to get better ones or if my camera can get better ones. But they are with just the LED's on.

Pictures394.jpg

Pictures391.jpg

corals011.jpg

corals019.jpg

corals017.jpg
you can try use some food to target feed the rics and torch corals, nothing big but around the mouth size so they can swallow it easily. but to be honest, some of your rics are not far from melting away...:(
HTH

What was the condition of the tank they were in? I think if you just leave them alone they will recover.

Im not 100% sure i saw it it looked nice. But other then that i dont know anything else about it.

I think they will recover too, but i am just wondering what i could feed them i have some brine shrimp and have tried it but they didnt "do" anything.lol

I was told that the torch is a hammer any input on that?

I was told that the torch is a hammer any input on that?

Hard to tell until it extends out a bit more. They really won't eat much until they recover a bit. Give it time and they will be fine.

What about lighting? I have just been running the Fluorescent 12 hours and then the MH one hour around noone. Too much too little?

I know they are not doing too well so i dont want to make things worse by not giving them enough or giving them too much.

Help? :oops:

I have no idea? It says compact?

yes i read about lighting but it went in one ear and other the other so to speak lol.

I would run your MH for 6 hours a day at least. The PC should be run just for dawn and dusk or full spectrum fill.
Your growing power is in the HQI bulb.

i guess i was scared that the MH would make them fade in color even more but i guess not right?

How is 3 hours of the Compact 6 hours of the MH and then 3 more hours of the MH?

Should i turn off the compacts while the MH is on?

are the PC just blue or 50/50 or 10,000k??
you'll have to gradually get to that point now.
add 30 mins per day till you get to where you want it.
Others more experienced can weigh in with more info on the lighting change.
On another note you said you just got those rics and torch just a day or so ago??
Where did you get them?
Did they look that way in the tank they came from?
What lighting did they have?
How did you acclimate?

these answers could help us help you?
And what are your water perams??

Last edited:
are the PC just blue or 50/50 or 10,000k??
you'll have to gradually get to that point now.
add 30 mins per day till you get to where you want it.
Others more experienced can weigh in with more info on the lighting change.
On another note you said you just got those rics and torch just a day or so ago??
Where did you get them?
Did they look that way in the tank they came from?
What lighting did they have?
How did you acclimate?

these answers could help us help you?
And what are your water perams??

The bulbs say true actantics sp?

I got them on here.
I knew they were not in the best of shape.
They had them under a 150 MH i think, for how long a day i dont know. The said he thought they were having issues with water qaulity.
I did a 3 hour drip acclamation.
Water params are 100% ware they should be i just tested them yesterday.

nitite/nitrate/Ph 8.4/Amona 0/ Cal. steady 440/alk. steady dKH 8/mag. steady 1400, i shoot for steady rather then high.

One of the rics started spliting today the other is almost done. That's a good sign right? Well at least i know its not bad!

Last edited:
they may come back if that's how you got them..
Let them do their thing. But I would up your MH time for sure if your True actantics are the only bulbs you got on there for PC's PC actantics are for more spectrum of light with MH and viewers delight, not for any growth or photosynthesis.

yeah slowly increase these..I have had these off and on..the water quality is a big factor..as sooon as u see these start to respond feed them.I know the love cycloese for shure..when i use to feed mine the quadroupled in about 3 months... longer light lower in tanks slowly bring them up?just an idea..they need nutrients aka LIGHT!

Back