not sure if I am in trouble or not

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

8mycash

found a creature in my aquarium. Closest pic I could find on the inter net is this one. looks very much like this. How could I have not seen him in the months that my aquarium has been up and running is a mystery to me. If he is bad how to I get him out 500 gallons and 350 lbs of live rock will make it very hard to catch. He is about 2 inches long

lobster.gif

If that is close, it is probably either a purple lobster (pictured, I think) or, more likely a pistol shrimp. The lobster will get bigger and you have to worry about small fish. The pistol shrimp can make an annoying, loud, clicking sound and not much more. It could also be a peppermint shrimp which usually is nothing to worry about either. It's hard to know without seeing an actual picture.

Oh yea, if you want to get it out, get a water bottle (12 or 16 oz) and angle it against the rock close to where the shrimp is. Put a small piece of bait in the bottom of the bottle. The shrimp (and many other things) will climb in to get the bait and won't be able to climb back up the bottle.

Back