Now that Ice Cap is gone, My ballast is now going, grrrrrrrr.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Started cycling on and off even after swapping out the bulb. Been loyal to Ice Cap since they were still in testing mode...

Any suggestions on a brand to replace an electronic 250W
Corevue, Vertex, Lumintech, aro, etc?

Im riding along on this one too. I think I may have to buy some good quality ballasts to replace my 250 too. So is Ice Cap no more?

Man...Sorry to hear Mike :doubt:. I remembered seeing some icecap ballast over on Premium Aquatics website the other day and just checked and they seem to have all in stock besides the 250...Go figure. I'd still contact them just to make sure they don't have one knocking around. Good luck!! Ice-halide Premium Aquatics - Ice-halide

There are a few Ice Caps on Ebay cheapest 250 watt is 129.95

Last edited:

They are actually local (Vancouver or Portland OR) and supply the hydroponics and reef stores in the area. If you can find a store placing an order they can get shipping waved.

On a side not, I have several IceCap660 and it seems like they blow a fuse which is a $10 repair when you ship back to the shop. If someone can dig up a replacement guide or stockpile a few parts I will be happy to pay double should I need the fuse.

ditto on Lumatek! My experience with 4 power outages with local power companies, Lumatek has two breakers on the back that prevent ballast from coming back on and blowing bulbs. No problems at all running Three adjustable 400 watters with variable from 250- 250 HQI- 400 watt - 400 super Lumens since April 2010.

Thank-you for all the suggestions EVERYONE.

Might be a temperature based problem as it only starts cycling at the end of the day. Moved it to a more drafty location and will see if that fixes it.

(for those who wanted to know, was me going grrrrrrrr:mad:, not the ballast):oops:

I'd look around online for an ice cap if those ballasts have worked well for you. You shouldn't have any trouble finding one. You can still find PFO ballasts if you're patient and they've been gone for years. I'd also recommend Sunlight supply ballasts. Solid lighting gear. Too bad about Ice Cap. They've put out good gear for a long time.

Mike

Interesting Ed. Look forward to learning more. :)
I have two coralvue ballasts and they work great. So far for 400w my favorite is Galaxy. If you want to spend a bit more then Lumentek was my second choice after researching and going with the Galaxy.

Interesting Ed. Look forward to learning more. :)
I have two coralvue ballasts and they work great. So far for 400w my favorite is Galaxy. If you want to spend a bit more then Lumentek was my second choice after researching and going with the Galaxy.

here ya Go Frankie!
I copied from Blog...:)

CoralVue adds former IceCap executive to their team
Posted on January 4th, 2011 by Ryan Gripp 5 Comments CoralVue, a small company that produces lighting and aquarium products has picked up an executive to add to their team. Chris Conti which hails from IceCap has now been brought on board to serve as VP Sales and Service. Chris was one of the original founders of IceCap and help produce the popular and 660 & 430 ballasts. He also helped with aligning customer service policies and standards in place before their melt down. Hopefully, Chris will be able to lead CoralVue on the right track with products designed with todays reef and marine aquarium hobbyists in mind. Check down below for the full press release.

Vue Technology “CoralVue” – New VP Leads Effort to
Strengthen Sales and Product Support

Slidell, Louisiana- With a reputation for producing quality and innovative aquarium specialty products for close to a decade, Vue Technology is once again demonstrating its commitment to sales and customer support. Vue Technology has been focused on expanding operations positively from new product development and top notch customer service to increased personnel. To bolster those efforts, Vue Technology is proud to announce that industry veteran, Chris Conti has joined their Executive Team as Vice-President of Sales and Service.

Chris is well known for his 20 years in the aquarium industry and a former President of IceCap Inc. As one of the original founders of IceCap, Chris developed the popular 660 & 430 ballasts and created the customer service standards that made IceCap into a leading lighting manufacturer in the aquarium industry. He has worked at almost every corporate function from, sales manager and product development to supply chain and customer service. Few people have the astonishing perspective of Chris on the handling of aquarium products from source to consumer. This unique breadth of real world know-how makes Chris an invaluable resource to retailers and consumers alike.

According to Mr. Conti, “The visualization and principles at Vue Technology support my dedication to the education and sustainability in product and services. These ideals are what have encouraged me for two decades and I look forward to working with my friends, David & Brandi D’Aquin, and the rest of the Vue Technology team for many years.”

Vue Technology is long known for making affordable products of the utmost quality and supported by superior customer service. With Chris Conti’s help, they will continue to be an industry leader in aquarium products while expanding service to a broader range of distribution, specifically with a keen focus on supporting distribution and retail.

Vue Technology has been making revolutionary products for the last decade. Their lighting products are known for efficiency and reliability. Offering more than just lighting solutions, they have extended their reach with a wide range of skimmers, pumps, reactors, refugiums and sump products for the aquarium industry and science. CoralVue’s product line has expanded vastly over the years and with a commitment to produce high quality products and services, they are expected to be around for years to come.

I wonder if they got just him or some of the product and operations also. An outside chance to support existing products in the field maybe if they did.

Doubt they will support previously sold competitors products. I had sent IC an email and got no reply.
Have heard that is was more than the big funds waste delving into LED, they also changed manufacturers on the ballasts, and those had a lot of bugs needing warrantee repair.
Mine obviously went bad, right after they closed the doors:closed_2::yell: and thus the Grrrrrrrrr:mad:

Bot a new Lumatec ballast to replace a very new Ice Cap.

Last edited:
Back