NSW from the Seattle Aqaurium - salinity adjustment?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Gort

Dazed and confused
I plan to initially fill my tank with NSW from the Seattle Aquarium. Would I likely have to adjust the salinity - especially later down the road?

I don't know anything about their water, so more research or a more knowledgable person is needed for this question.

I called and they are Emailing me the info on their water. I know it is 5 cents per gallon and you buy a key card for $25.00 and it is self serve. I will post more info when I get it.

Brian...

I called and they are Emailing me the info on their water. I know it is 5 cents per gallon and you buy a key card for $25.00 and it is self serve. I will post more info when I get it.

Brian...

Ah - they told me the card was $10 when I called a few weeks ago - if that goes to $25 not such a great deal for a small tank like mine.

Ah - they told me the card was $10 when I called a few weeks ago - if that goes to $25 not such a great deal for a small tank like mine.

@ 5 cents a gallon it would take quite a while to use up $25.00. Maybe a few people could meet with one persons key card and just pay the key card holder for the amount of water they get.

@ 5 cents a gallon it would take quite a while to use up $25.00. Maybe a few people could meet with one persons key card and just pay the key card holder for the amount of water they get.

My understanding it was $10 (perhaps now $25) to "set up" the card - you then added funds to it like a debit card. I'll call them again for clarification.

Okay .. the card is $10 to establish .. the funds for water purchase are in $25 increments - invoiced as your acct runs low. Access to the water is via a 24-hour key-card system.

it might be worth it to me if i can get a few hundred gallons....anyone got one of those storage containers for their trucks?

How long would the water keep for?

I may be wrong here but I was under the impression that my lfs got their saltwater from the same source. When we purchased from them, the salinity was low as was the PH. But this wouldn't be the first time my impression was wrong...

Here is some info provided by the aquarium.
Salinity is 28ppt it is ultraviolet disinfected and filtered to -750 microns they use it in all of their displays including the coral reef exhibit.

i have been using NSW from the Seattle Aquarium for over 10 years now with no issues. Been using it in both reefs and fish only tanks. Yes you need to adjust salinity at times but once you get it set you are good. I have set up to haul 1500g in one shot. Its still cheaper than making with dry.

I used to use their water way back. I found that it is a good idea to choose your times carefully. When it is the rainy season or after a big rain you tend to get alot of runoff from the streets and so on. So the water can have alot of nutrients and similar in it. So it would be a good idea to test for those two, although for a new set up that shouldnt be to much of a worry.

I do have a 250 gallon drum (upright) if you would like to borrow it.

Mojo

I have a key card in my pocket. Pickup in Edmonds or UW.

Back