o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Skimmer Round 2 has begun -- ETSS, MRC 3 and the Gro Tech

Photos in the Sticky Thread were updated. - The MRC-3 is in the tank, but I need to go buy a 1" barbed T to hook it up to the pump.

Dave B

I want to know when you are going to test the one in the middle with the tank behind it and and the "door" like lid. I don't care about the rest of them

Boomer said:
I want to know when you are going to test the one in the middle with the tank behind it and and the "door" like lid. I don't care about the rest of them

The Toto never made it into the competition. Ease of installation and size are a couple of the areas where the Toto was weak. The Toto "Thunder Loo 600" was too hard to plumb into the test tank and took up so much space no other skimmers would fit. :lol:

Status

dgasmd said:
So, the MRC is not working or is it not hooked up yet?

I looked at the skimmers yesterday. I have some pics I will try to post later. The GroTech and the ETSS appeared to be dialed in nicely. Dave was still working on the MRC.

Ted

Dave,
When do you plan on testing the Via-Aqua skimmer? Waiting for results before I figure out a way to get mine into the sump.

DGAS,

The MRC is working, however, for some reason at night the MRC is popping a GFI circuit. I have not been able to resolve the issue yet - and rain is supposed to be here all week - And playing with popping GFI's in the rain is not my idea of a wise way to start the new year.

Dave B

Pictures from 12/26

Grotech Skimmer
2073grotech-med.jpg

ETSS Skimmer
2073etss-med.jpg

MRC Skimmer
2073mrc-med.jpg

Ted

Any news on performance from the first group of skimmers???????????????????

Glad to see that my ETS is humming along! It never skimmed that well in my tank! LOL

Looking forward to my Deltec!

Scott F.

Scott,

The best part about your old skimmer - Is I am using a RIO Hyperflow 12 to pump it. 30watts, silent - Rated at 740 gph. Seems to be working better than the Iwaki.

Tsadik and Invinc,

I have the opinions of 5 people that came to view the first batch, I need to put them together and post them. Some of the opinions are in the closed thread in this forum. I will post the group opinions onto that thread.

Dave B

Bernie, it's really not about "winning" as looking at functionality and plusses and minuses. Also, it's by no means "controlled", so...anyhoo, in the first batch, the AquaC "won". In this run, the MR3 isn't even running so....

Back