o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

o2manyfish

o2manyfish
Intro - Hey Folks - o2manyfish aka Dave B here. This thread caused some commotion on a previous board - Please don't bring up any previous issues on this thread. If you have questions you can email me directly at [email protected]

In the meantime, I contacted the admins here on Reef Frontiers, told them my intentions and got their blessing to start this thread here for people to participate in the skimmer comparison....

So here we go again.

a) I am the Distribution point for Deltec in Southern California - Doug aka DeltecUSA is a sponsor of this board.

b) Myself and the importers of the Bubble King skimmer decided to put together a fun lil skim off. However, more and more people wanted to participate. So I decided to try to make this as educational as possible for people.

c) I currently have, available the following skimmers for testing - EuroReef, AquaMedic, Geo, Grotech, Bubble King, Aqua C, Deltec and Via Aqua.

D) Some of these skimmers are being provided by Owner/Hobbyists, some are being provided by the Manufacturers/Importers.

e) I have a 1500g outdoor SPS system. The plan is to place the skimmers in a sump that is attached to the system. The sump has a flowrate of about 1500gph. The water coming into the sump is taken from one of 7 tanks that make up the outdoor system. The tanks are in series and gravity feed from one tank to the next.

f) Skimmer performance will be rated on Sludge Production, Sludge Stench, Sludge Density and Duration Skimmer Continues to remove sludge in quantites.

g) So as to insure open and and fair play, the rating of the skimmer production will involve myself, other local hobbyists and representatives of other skimmer companies.

h) I am located in Los Angeles, I am not business, but I do welcome people travelling to the LA area to make an appointment to come on over and see the skimmers. Just email me to set up a time.

i) Because of the quantity of skimmers involved this is going to last for probably 4 to 6 weeks.

j) If you have a skimmer you like, or make, or rep that you would like to partake in this - Please let me know - Everyone is welcome

k) We are interested in getting a Beckett style skimmer into the comparison, if you have access to one, or know one of the Beckett Skimmer Manufacturers please ask them to contact me regarding this.

l) We would also like to get an H&S Skimmer in the mix.

Here is a photo of the tank setup for the skimmers - There is room next to the tank for Non-Submersible skimmers to be connected.
BQ_1.jpg

Details on the system - The system is roughly 1500 gallons. The head piece is my 360g display tank:
360_oct12_1.jpg

The system consists of (1) 125+g shallow frag tank (Outside), (1) 76g Shallow Frag Tank (outside), (2) 250g Sumps outside, (1) 360g Sump Buried for Geothermal cooling and a 100g equipment sump.

The livestock in the system includes over 1000pcs of SPS. And over 100 different fish throughout the tanks. The fish in the display tank are fed weekly (maybe). The fish in the outdoor frag tanks are not fed at all.

If you have any questions please post here. Thank you to the gracious Mods of Reef Frontiers for welcoming this post.

And again, please don't bring up any negative issues from other boards regarding this topic.

Thanks

Dave B

Do you a website devoted to this tank? I'd be interested in learning more about your setup.

Sounds like a fun competition... I don't know how accurate you can be (variations in capacity ratings, manual settings, etc.), but still fun. Good luck.

Dave this sounds like tis going to be a fun one. Make sure to post all the details on how you are doing it. With all the new designs and concepts out their now it will be neat to see which are the most efficient.

One quick question, are you doing them one at a time or a few at the same time??

MIke

Queries

John

I have not really updated my own website since I put up the new display tank in April - I will be working on it over the next couple of weeks.

As for comparing, the most apparent way to compare the skimmers is to put them together, and the better skimmers will continue to skim after the inferior ones fail to produce skimmate any longer.

Which leads to your question Mojo. Madison who will hopefully be joining here shortly is organizing like a football pool bracket to match the skimmers up. The skimmers will be competing in groups of 3 to 4 for a week or more till a clear difference is noticed. And then the better skimmers will move on to the next round.

Dave B

Hey Dave! Cant wait to see all these skimmers rocking. I heard too many good things about Deltec and Bubble King and want to see it in action now against each other. :) Tagging.

I'll send some of the guys over this way as they wanted to see this.

Last edited:
Dave,

this has made my whole day! glad you're getting this up and running again. let me know if i can do anything to help promote it. you know how i feel about all the other issues, so i'll bite my tongue on this. i'm just completely jazzed that the 'powers that be' on this board can see the overall good in what this is all about. if you want me to post something on my RC forum, i'll be more than happy to do so.

glad you're back
Doug

I'm glad I found this. I now have to get used to the new format. It might take a while to get used to. Still planning that 12/9 trip to LA. I hope Madison sees this as I need a bunch of stuff.

Mike

Dave,
I'm happy to see this "skim-off" thread up and running.This sounds very interesting.
I'll be lurking! ;)

Andy

Hey Dave, I like the new digs for the forum. If vegasmike doesn't want to contribute his MR4, I'll drop off my MR3.

As for comparing, the most apparent way to compare the skimmers is to put them together, and the better skimmers will continue to skim after the inferior ones fail to produce skimmate any longer.
Hmm may yes maybe no. The ones that work on a volume basis might have a bit of an advantage with a stronger pump. Either way it would be neat to see them go, just input the crap in the middle I guess, lol.

Did you happen to read the rider where the winner gets an all inclusive stay at the Lake Tapps Research center???

A big welcome to the new folks that have jumped onboard I hope you get a chance to browse around at our content in the id gallery, library and equipment gallery.

Doug is Diver dan still in biz???

Mike

Dave,

Still waiting on the parts on the skimmer? It'll be interesting to see which skimmers advance out of the brackets.

Ted

Doug is Diver dan still in biz???

Mike, maybe i'm stepping on someone else's answer here, but are you asking me? if you are, can you be a bit more specific?

apologies in advance if this was directed to a different Doug.

Doug

Alright Dave! I still want to check in when I'm working out that way to see this in person! Give me the secreat turtle hand shake so I can get past the guard dogs :)

;)

More power to ya', Dave... Glad you found this great new home for this event here on Reef Frontiers. Kudos to thier mods for thinking and taking into account the needs of thier hobbyist subscribers...

How long till Madison has that BK dialed in—I want to come see the "golden unicorn" in person...!

Thanks again, Dave...

Todd,

Madison is supposed to come over tonight, if the timing works out, to start tweaking.

Tomorrow the power is off here at the house for some electrical upgrades -- More POWER -- TANKS MUST HAVE MORE POWER

Can you believe my 100amp panel was pulling almost 90 amps at night -- Ouch - So Now with a new service feed and a 200amp panel I got room to add some night lights.

Dave B

Todd, the Bubble King is breaking in right now. I don't know how long it will take. Usually it takes about 10 days. This skimmer was broken in on another tank before I put it in Dave's but it was partially cleaned w/ RO water. I don't know how much that will negate the first break in. I was hoping to re adjust some stuff tonight and if it works w/ Dave's schedule I will go over there since it appears that some break in has already happened.

I am about to shed some tears :oops: :oops: You mean t tell me some of you actually listened to anything I said? :eek: :eek:

Well, I am just glad a group of very knowledgeable guys like some of you are, Doug maybe one day you can too :lol: :lol: , have decided to participate here. This is a pretty good forum and the people here thrive and enjoy an intelligent discussion any day of the week.

I am glad you are all around. :D

Back