o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

What size H&S do we want to put up against these monsters. Let me know, we'll see what I can do. What size Deltec are we putting in the mix, I will try to match it closely.

Fins

Most of the skimmers are rated for around 200 to 400g heavily stocked. Deltec is currently an 850, but it arrived damaged, and might be substituted for a 902 cause of availability - (Doug won't give me a 1004 :( ), Bubble King Model 200, Geo has the dual Sedra 5000 pumps, etc

Does that give you an idea for a size range ?

Please email me directly for any arrangements.

Dave B

Good to see you over here Dave and thank you to the powers that be for allowing this competition take place here.
Chad

listen here, Alberto...the only reason i still know nothing is because i've been listening to you all these years :)

and besides, i was the one telling all you guys about Reef Frontiers from the start. so nyaaah.

oh, and one more thing, don't believe Dave about that 1004....i said i would gladly let him have it lieu of cash for an arm and a leg.

Doug

Doug is All Talk

Come on Doug.... It's all cheap talk until you start shipping the Deltec Super Mayo, and Dave S gets online and starts posting.

Doug, I am going to the wholesalers tomorrow, I hear they got a shipment of blue damsels in -- Special price for you of $49.95 + shipping in quantities of 50 or more. Send me your credit card and I will to get the 100 best ones :)

Dave B

Doug I must have confussed you with Dwayne (I think??) he had a small plastic diver (aquarium toy) that he did monthly adventures with. It was the funnist thing I have ever seen.

Mike

Great to see this happen...thanks Dave and Madison (and everyone else who has been involved in THIS).

Different board....same great crowd. Good to see everyone. :D

Awesome to see so many of you! WELCOME TO REEF FRONTIERS!!! I hope you all (not y'all....lol) enjoy the site.

I'm very interested in the comparisons, and what the outcomes are. For sure, put up the intricate details of each test group. I look forward to the final face-off :)

Nice to see the new faces here. Glad we could help out. Sounds like this skimmer comparison project has a lot of momentum for sure :)

Welcome to Reef Frontiers everyone. Like Mike said, we hope you take a look at all that we have to offer, lots of great resources and a bunch of great people here too.

I was watching this from the other board. I'm glad it was able to be started over here. I'd be very interested in seeing how this pans out.
Nick

hallo everybody

thanx RF for this thread,

dave b what happen to the ap 850 ? you do know the ap 902(660g) is way higher rated then the 850 is that the reason ?

Last edited:
Heinz said:
hallo everybody

thanx RF for this thread,

dave b what happen to the ap 850 ? you do know the ap 902(660g) is way higher rated then the 850 is that the reason ?

Heinz, the 850 arrived cracked at the outlet joint. I think Dave said in a previous post that because of availability Doug was going to send the ap 902.

Hey Dave, let me know if you're going down to the wholesalers on Friday. If so, I may meet you and give you the MR3 and a GRI520 to run it.

OUinLA said:
Heinz, the 850 arrived cracked at the outlet joint. I think Dave said in a previous post that because of availability Doug was going to send the ap 902.

i know the deltec broke,

well not sure how to put it, ap 850 is the same size as the bk 250 thats way we had this skimmers which we could compare, but if you go and use a larger deltec the test will be worthless,

ap 850/ bk 250 both one pump both same W use, both same diameter, you see my point ?

if you wanne run an ap 902 you need an bk 300 for the same size skimmer,

btw the bk broke while shipping from boston as well and you fixed it :)

ah well what do i care the bk 250 will smoke the ap 902 anyways, let the games begine

actually Heinz, what you said is technically incorrect. i don't want this starting off with any controversy, but i do need to make sure everyone involved, or is following this, understands why the AP902 is the exact skimmer to match against the BK250.

although there are several other factors involved with determining how effecively a skimmer will function, including neck width, square area, pump height and chamber dimensions, all in particular proportion to each other, the most significant one when comparing any skimmer to another, all other things being equal and solely on technical specs, is air draw.

according to the Royal Exclusiv website, the BK250 draws 1500 liters of air per hour. comparitively, the Deltec AP850 draws only 900 L/H. the AP902 draws 1600 L/H, and while it is slightly higher, the difference is not significant, especially when compared to the 600 L/H difference with the AP850. the number of pumps really doesn't matter in this either aside from BK being able to claim that their one pump is better than 2 of the Deltec's, if this is really indeed the case. however, even with Deltec having 1 extra pump, the cost difference (based on today's exchange rate of 1.31) is relatively similar, the Deltec being $1735 not including shipping from within the US, whereas the BK is $1780 without shipping from Germany.

i hope this clears up any potential misconceptions of skimmer dynamics, at least in regards to this scenario.

beside, as you said, the BK250 will smoke the 902 anyway, so you have nothing to worry about right?

right??

Doug

Heinz, Well get us a BK300 as well and I will just put another powerstrip in the yard.

Glad to see everyone joining in. I received some emails from additional Skimmer Reps tonight, once I get a chance to talk to them tomorrow I will let you know what new skimmers are being added to the lineup.

Dave B

Back