o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

It's just real life catching up with Dave. He's been very, very busy. Last time I was by, there was an old ER and a viaaqua in the "test bed", BUT then I heard the ER was gonna get swapped out for a newer model blah, blah, blah. Anyways, mostly Dave is just too busy right now. Things will calm down and round 3 will start.

Hey Everyone,

Sorry about the huge gap in time but several things have taken place.

1) With all the heavy rains out here, that put some delays into progressing with the test. The rain has been so much it actually was affecting the salinity in the system

2) I had spoken with H&S and they were going to bring down an H&S skimmer for the competition. So I was dragging my feet a lil bit to get the H&S down. However, after several phone calls, with no response or call back it appears H&S will not be appearing.

3) Round 3 was intended to be Euro-Reef / Via Aqua and Aqua Medic. Jeff the owner of Euro-Reef - Who Graciously donated a new dolphin pump for my personal Euro-Reef, offered to upgrade/swap my EuroReef 8-2 for his newly upgraded recirculating model. So I dragged my feet again, in an effort to get the new Euro-Reef. Jeff's last email said he was sending the skimmer on Jan 20th. But it has not yet arrived.

4) I was really excited with the webcam I got for my display tank. So I wanted a second one for the outside system. With the viewer controllable zoom, I thought this would be great since people could see the skimmers closely (down to the bubble size) and how each skimmer was adjusted. So I bought a second Canon VB-C10. So people can aim the camera at each individual skimmer. However, getting the camera online was a wee bit of a delay. The camera is up and running (www.o2manyfish.com/skimmercam.htm). If anyone is an IT wizard, the Java portion of this camera is the pitts. In house the FPS when viewed directly is 30+ and when viewed in house via tha JAVA drops to under 12. And over the internet it seems most people get less than 6FPS.

5) In the middle of January I got a contract for a big job. Contrary to rumors and Internet myths, I do not make a living from the Reef Hobby. So when my real work calls I have to go. As a litigation consultant when I get into a project, it is a 7 day a week job that sometimes consumes greater than 18 hours a day.
My trial wrapped up this past week after a 3 day push at the end that consisted of 66 billable hours out of 72.

6) After getting off work on Weds evening, I went to sleep for almost 18 hours. On Friday I noticed some stressed corals in my display tank. After some research I discovered that I had a leak in one of my outdoor tanks. My auto-Topoff had done it's job and kept the topped off. However between Superbowl Sunday and Friday my salinity went from 1.026 to 1.010.
I have so far lost about 50% of my SPS population - Approx 500pcs. I have lost my purple monster colony, my efflos, my torts - The depressing list goes on. And the losses are continuing. I have not lost any fish, or any of my Clams.

7) So what does that mean now.... Well as of this morning (Sunday) the new skimmer cam is setup outside. I have in the skimmer tank right now the Deltec 850, and Bubble King, and the original Euro-Reef. At this moment (Sunday at 11:30am) all the skimmers are foaming like crazy. So nothing has been dialed in or adjusted.

I will be placing an EZ-Up tent over the outdoor system, tomorrow (Monday). Starting Tuesday we are supposed to get 5 days of rain, a couple days off and then a really big storm. I will try to keep the skimmers in view of the camera - But no promises.

If you have questions regarding the skimmers please post them on this thread. Please do no post comments regarding the tank losses here, or any of the other factors contributing to the delay in getting the skimmer comparison underway. I have left the webcam on the display tank up. This is a difficult loss, but these things happen.

Dave B

Damm Dave that is bad news, sorry to hear about the losses, that is a staggering list. Let me know when the tak is back in form and I will send you a Care package of corals.

good luck

Mike

Dave, the bubble king looks very clean, the Euro Reef looks filthy but also has a ton of junk collected from the looks. My question is, do you think the Euro Reef preformed as well as the others, & for the money on smaller systems, you which one you personally think is the more bang for your buck type skimmer, I'm regarding from 100g to say about 300g tanks. I guess, basically, I'm looking for performance, reliability & quality.

Thanks,
Scott A.

Scooter,

The Euro-Reef and the ViaAqa in the bottom Left corner have been running for a couple of weeks.

The Deltec and BK just went in this morning. Given the huge coral die-off at the moment, I felt that for a couple of days, while the Deltec and BK get broken in and dialed in that the extra skimmers couldn't hurt.

Yesterday (Sat evening) Andy from Reefermadness was visiting and I cleaned out the Euro-Reef -- It sure likes to get dirty :)

Dave B

sorry to hear about your losses. you supplied many reefers around the country. hopefully you will be stocked soon.

That ER is looking great! Why does the Deltec have the Lid off?

Last edited:
I dunno but if you notice that foam head on the Deltec is what impresses me on my AP702. It's like super stable and thick...like the top of a latte. Dave's system right now....you could make a seaclone work in that thing with everything that died after the s.g. drop....

How about this one Moonpod it has a 6 foot foam head

41bubblesskimmer.jpg

Bubbles at the 5 foot mark
41bubbles_at_top.jpg

Ok I will go back in my corner now. :p

Mike

Hey Guys,

Okay -- Well for those that have not been reading my posts .....

The Bubble King and Deltec skimmer just went into the system today. They both need to run for a few days (they were sitting dry except for rain) to break in before they can be adjusted and dialed. The effluent valves are totally removed from the Bubble King, else it just pumps water out the top.

For the people that emailed me earlier.... Yes those are live, actual tortoises cruising around the yard.

I have 2 Male African Sulcata Tortoises. Sulcata's are the 3rd largest species of tortoise in the world. Full Grown they will get to almost 300lbs ( My size LOL ). Right now they are about 7 years old. The large one is Ernesto and weighs about 90lbs, and can carry me on his back. The smaller one Mr. Turtle weighs in at about 65 lbs.

Also those are not rats running around the yard. Those are my dogs... Brussels Griffons. 4lbs to 10lbs in size, the red/brown ones are girls, and the black one is the large boy (the 10lb'r).

Dave B

I can not see the skimmer picks from the webcam is anything i'm doing wrong?

Last edited:
Back