o2manyfish - Skimmer Comparison

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

The rain is causing trouble with the electrical run to all the skimmers. So until things dry out which skimmers and running and when, will be entirely determined by the location of the puddles :)

Dave B

Update

Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delays... The losses I have suffered in the past month have been really devestating. My salinity drop, caused the loss of over 930+ acros, my softies, about 80% of my LPS (some 10 year old hammers and frogspawn), 60% of my acans (about 80 heads - mostly Lord Howes), and over 50% of my blastos.

I have about 2 dozen clams - all of which are fine, and my fish and inverts are intact and doing well.

Between the constant removal of frags, and chipping away of corals from my display tank, I have not been super fish motivated.

After the die off from the salinity ended, I had a huge algae bloom, and the system turned a lovely brown. This didn't help the recovering corals and frags much.

As of last Monday, the brown algae has gone away, and things seems to be stable and healthy.

I am awaiting the arrival of a new 200+ GPD custom RO unit with a 2 to 1 waste ratio - Once that arrives, hopefully the residual diatoms will go away ( my tap has high silicates). (even in this weather I am evaporating close to 20gpd)

Trying to grasp 900+ lost acros is really tough... The simplest way I can explain it is I previously had 5 eggcrate racks - 24x40 - that were packed with corals. Plus a 4x4 sump with my brood stock colonies. After things were stabilized I had less than 1/2 a rack of acros.

So that's my excuse for the delays. In trying to get myself re-motivated, I am going to get myself a new display tank -- Best part of this hobby is you can always throw more money are at !!!

The only mistake I made with my 360 last year, was not opting for an open top. So I am having a new tank made - 96x33x28 with a totally open top. I am considering having an additional overflow built on the end of the tank to make my own built in wave box.

Now back to the skimmers --

While I have been SPS moping I have been keeping the skimmers going. Anyone checking the webcam has seen an assortment of skimmer combinations in the past month.

Most notably was the Bubble King and the Deltec finally faced off. However, per Madison's request this was not official. Madison, has been trying to get an updated Bubble King to use in the comparison.

After many many many hours of diligent effort by both Madison and myself, the Bubble King just did not perform consistently. Madison has informed me that Bubble King is making modifications to the impeller, bubble plate, riser tube/collection cup, and effluent valves. Unfortunately an updated version was damaged beyond repair in shipping.

As many saw from the webcam, the bubble king was running for several weeks. I will post my personal opinions of the BK, but not in this thread.

At this moment running in the skimmer tank is the Deltec 850, the Euro-Reef 8-2, the Via-Aqua, and a custom ETSS downdraft provided by Neal Yahata.

For folks watching the camera regularly, the ETSS is on a circuit that doesn't like all the rain we have had out here in So Cal. So with every shower the GFCI it's on trips.

Pending the weather this week, I am going to try to get the winners of the previous rounds all together at the same time.

In the next day or two I will try to update my website with the opinions of the skimmers that have been running.

Any questions, feel free to ask :)

Sorry to take so long to get motivated - Hope people understand.

Dave B

o2manyfish said:
Hey Guys,

Sorry for the delays... The losses I have suffered in the past month have been really devestating. My salinity drop, caused the loss of over 930+ acros, my softies, about 80% of my LPS (some 10 year old hammers and frogspawn), 60% of my acans (about 80 heads - mostly Lord Howes), and over 50% of my blastos.

As many saw from the webcam, the bubble king was running for several weeks. I will post my personal opinions of the BK, but not in this thread.

Dave B

Dave, I am very sorry to hear of your losses. I'm glad you are not leaving the hobby from this and are rebuilding.

With your new display reef, are you going to glue rock to the back wall again or do something else for aquascape?

Also please post a link here when you give your opinion of the BK skimmer.

Dave, you can't give up because you are insiration to many of the future TOTM's and SPS freaks. You are too big of part of the hobby. It would be like micheal Jordan of coral retiring. you were the west coast supply for extremely rare corals. We all appreciate what you do.

It's funny, the number of people who have expected me to get out of the hobby.

I have been in the hobby for over 20 years. I have had a reef tank for the past 17 years. Success in this hobby, and duration in this hobby is accompanied by setbacks.

Throughout the years (okay decades), tanks have crashed, outbreaks have occurred, equipment has failed... That's one of the challenges of pursuing a living hobby.

Fortunately for me, I don't make a living from anything that has to do with fish or corals. For me, having a fish tank and a reef tank, is some thing I enjoy.

For the few who have visited my home, they know that for me my fish is not just a tank in a room... Whether its the handmade blown glass fish hanging from the ceiling, crystal serving bowls with fish, fish sculptures or the tile mural of a koi pond in front of my fireplace (Can be seen in KOI Usa Magazine Aug 2003) its something I really enjoy.

So while this setback is greater than most, the truth is that the majority of the corals were rescues.. corals doomed to hit the bleach tubs. So at least I was able to extend their lives, and the majority of them were fragged and shared with others.

Every week there are corals than come into the US that need some extra attention and tender loving care. So now that things are settled out, I am going to redo my frag system, and get back to doing what I enjoy - Playing with fish.

Dave B

PS - The skimmer comparison, with the extra pumps, lights, and heating - in addition to the very cold winter, has added over $400 to the utilities the past several months - If anything was going to push me out of the hobby - the Utility bill would be the first - LOL

o2manyfish said:
PS - The skimmer comparison, with the extra pumps, lights, and heating - in addition to the very cold winter, has added over $400 to the utilities the past several months - If anything was going to push me out of the hobby - the Utility bill would be the first - LOL

:shock: Holy cr@p Dave!! Let's get this skimmer thing over with so we can cut back on the utility bill!

Can't wait to see the new open top tank! Let's get Scott's tank and my tank hooked up so we can remove all of the LR and the other stuff you are holding for us and then work on your system.

Ted

Dave how you feeling about your tank?? is it good enough for a care package?? or did you want to wait for the new set to be up first??

let me know

Mike

Dave I'm very sorry to hear of the losses that you had to endure! :( I quess that puts my aptasia, bryopsis, & valonia problems into perspective. :oops:

Mojo / Mike,

Thank you for the offer. At the moment. I just want to get everything upgraded before adding anything new.

4DTEK,

My bryopsis is doing great... And my minimal aptasia issue is stable :)

Dav eB

In the process of buying a skimmer, abit uncertain on what kind.
Here in south africa, cape town we have the berlin, and the (acqua or turbo skimmer)

which one is better..

thanx
basil

Hey Folks,

An update. It's been a very difficult year so far regarding me and the hobby. I am still hanging in there, but being motivated has not been easy.

I have gotten about 90% of the skimmer reviews written and posted to my website.

I am not sure how to cross post so that the data shows up legible.

The data is posted using Layers for Internet Explorer. If it appears that the boxes are overlapping an items are not laid out properly, goto the "View" button on your browser and then choose "Text Size" and set it to normal.

If anyone is familiar with this issue with web page creation please email me on how to resolve it.

The link for the skimmer comparison reviews is www.o2manyfish.com/skimmers/reviews.htm

Please remember, these are just opinions based on the experience and opportunity to play/work/use a variety of skimmer types, designs and makes under similar circumstances.

These are my opinions, and opinions of other locals that helped review the skimmers that were made available. Everyone has an opinion, if you read something you don't agree with... that's great.

Was there an all out best skimmer found -- Nope

Skimmers perform differently, fit differently, work differently, and have huge cost differences. So there is not 1 skimmer that is recommended above all others.

Sorry for the delays in getting everything legible and posted. There is additional data that I collected that will be added when I get a chance. I will also be adding opinions/experience on all the other bits of aquarium stuff I get the opportunity to test, buy, borrow, etc.

Dave B

After all the hub bub about the BK not performing at all.. Here are a couple of pics in DaveB's system not performing!

GetStillImage24302-19.jpg

and approximately 18 hours later
GetStillImage2-20930.jpg

as my friend put it "If a picture is worth a thousand words, what's two pictures worth :D"

Via Aqua

Hello,
Name is Aaron Deane
This is my first time on this site.
What an awsome trial of the skimmers.
I am in the process of setting up what is to be my first saltwater ecosystem
I am interested in setting up a half round a half barrel or whatever else you may call a half moon shaped tank, flat back, the whole back wall as an overflow, with an approximate size or 60cm in diameter whats that divide by 2.54 equals approx 24 inches in diameter so 120cm across the back 48 inches
and about 60 or 70cm high 24 to 30inches high.
Thats an approximate volume of 60 times 60 times 3.14 divide by 2 cos its only half a cylinder equals 565 liters divide by 4 equals 140 gallons approx without sump included.
My question is to anyone interested in answering is if i can over skim my system. I have read this thread with interest and im interested in the via aqua skimmer (which i dont seem to be able to find anywhere) but im wondering if it would be too large for my tank, if thats at all possible.
I would be looking at living rock, deep sand bed, and enough fish from the south pacific region.
Can anyone help
Any response and or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to RF Aaron! :)
Wow an Australian in Germany, I guess you’re pretty much out of your element there eh?
Your tank description sounds really nice. I like the full length overflow feature.
In my opinion it’s not possible to over skim an aquarium. The skimmer will cease or slow down on production of skimmate once it has processed the given volume of water it is working with. From an overseas standpoint it’s hard to say if this will help you any, but have you seen this place yet?
http://www.aquastealth.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=114

Since you’re in Europe I’d suggest looking into a skimmer there. Many companies here in the US are merely trying to duplicate designs that are originally started over there.

Hope this helps and good luck with your aquariums future. Post some pictures if you’re able to do so. That would be great! :)

Back