Ocean coral reefs gone in 40 years??

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Now that is one of the funniest posts I've seen in quite a while. Ignorance is bliss... unless you work yourself into a frenzy trying to maintain it.

For everyone one book claiming a conspiracy, there are 10,000 scientist that say otherwise =P

Sounds about right.....

think of this stuff we have done, and do every day.

Herefishyfishy - (not questioning, just trying to understand) The articles state that significant damage would be caused if the ocean were to warm up to 1.5 degrees on average. The only reason that i question this is that my tank never dropped below 81 during the summer and i seen it as hot as 85 but i didnt loose a thing. I am sure that the story is much deeper than a 1.5 degree increase, i just wonder why they make that a focal point?

not that all this worring is such a bad thing. it gets more people to consider their foot print on the earth. In other words, there is more good coming from the "global warming" hype then there is bad.

Steven, the ocean is a lot larger than your tank and has a lot more dynamics occurring than we could ever imagine. Your tank doesn't have floating ice sheets on one end creating weather due to the hot equator on the other. I recall all the talk about how the forests were renewable and endless. That was before the flooding in Lewis County from clear cutting. I recall when Indonesia, Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, Nigeria, and others were covered with CO2 scrubbing hardwood forests. I recall when tigers were plentiful and fishing with my Dad for salmon, we tossed back what are considered large keepers today and limited quickly. Beaches covered with oysters and under the oysters were clams of all types. Ling cod was so thick, they were junk fish. I recall when an El Nino was a rare occurrence and nobody ever heard of a La Nina. I recall when the Hanford reach was clean and safe. I have seen pictures of the Duwamish when it was safe to drink. I lived in Portland when pulp waste pollution log rafts caught fire on the Willamette River before the state started cleaning it's act up under the leadership of Tom McCall

It is not all bad, but every time I hear ecology science being bashed based on local or confused anecdotal evidence and promoting placing one's head in the sand and hoping it is just a mistake, it makes me cringe. The air we breath depends on a healthy ocean and I cry when I imagine the reefs not being there for my children's children's children's.

It's not too late to save our home: Planet Earth, that little blue speck third satellite from the sun.

Your friend,
Mike

Sorry for the sermon. The short answer to your question is, those tank propogated corals which thrives in your aquarium could perish easily in the ocean.

How many here have had a thriving wild collected coral, suddenly perish or even slowly receed in out little tanks.

look at it this way

ice shelf(melting)=A single switch ATO Stuck on/open cause by the HUman Snail, in the world sump...

lol

Back