OceansMotions - have you all seen this thing?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Carl, that's friggin' cool... you might be able to increase flow if you set the thing horizontally. that way the input would be straight in. of course that would increase space behind tank which is not acceptable to some people. thanks for the diagram !

In case anyone is interested in the dimensions....here is what they emailed:

the 8 way is roughly 9 by 9 by 6 inches high

This new wave maker does look pretty cool! Has anyone seen a gal per hr rating? Or a pressure rating? I couldn't find one at the site. Scott

I talked to him on the phone for about an hour and a half, I was not given a gph because it is dependant on your pump. But he assures me it can handle the flow rate of my 3hp pump. Think the rate is 380 gpm on that pump. We'll see how it handles it in 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Carl neat renderings, your plan looks real solid. Make sure you keep in mind that each cycle only lasts for 7 seconds when your configuring the overall flow pattern.

Paul you could redesign it for closed loop no problem. One thing to keep in mind though is that the outputs are only 1 inch so your going to loose at lease 40% of your overall flow from the pump, so 3000 would equal (after all plumbing) around 1200gph total.

mike

Mike
I just thought of this, on the commercial side it actually makes it more cost effective for tanks on the same system you could have 8 tanks set on a surge using one pump and valve system.

it sounds like you don't have the codec installed that plays the video aspect. if you are using the latest version of Windows Media player to play there is a setting in the Tools / Options / Automatic Updates area that says 'Download codec automatically'. make sure that is checked before playing the movie.

reefsupply said:
I talked to him on the phone for about an hour and a half, I was not given a gph because it is dependant on your pump. But he assures me it can handle the flow rate of my 3hp pump. Think the rate is 380 gpm on that pump.

WOW!!! 380 gpm is about 22800 gph

I find it very difficult to believe that two 1" outlets will deliver that much flow. Your pump has to have a very high output pressure to overcome that kind of restriction. It will be a very strong concentrated jet coming out, not sure if that is the best kind of output unless you have multiple units or additional outputs off the pump in addition to this device. Not sure the price of this unit is worth it for that kind of flowrate.

Hi Matt,

It was checked, so I unchecked it and checked it again. I also reduced the setting to allow less restrictions on the web. I do have XP by the way. I can hear the water, but when I bring the page where you click on the link, the icons are those windows symbols not the pics.

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????

another option is to save the file to your desktop and just run it in the full windows media player.

one other thing to try is to reinstall both Windows Media Player as well as DirectX.

I can walk you through those if you want.

Hey I updated to the new media player 9 and I got the video to play. Before all I too could get was the sound.
The 8 way was really cranking. Not sure what size of a pump is running but it was shooting 2- 1" lines in streams close to the bottom depth of the tak it was running on. Mabye 16"?
The 4-way revolutions looked milder but really spread the water flow around. I'm really going to have to consider using one of these.:cool: ............Scott

i have been watching this thing since i seen it, it sounds very interesting, i have been waiting on results before the purchase, i have found in the past (as most have) that some things look better then they are ;)

i do think this has a lot of promis

OK, the truth is the wife wont let me get one yet ;), but the above sounds better, lol

boy did that extra 0 make a diff

i will keep an eye on this thread, and thanks Steven

td

Now I know why my ears were burning...

If I can answer any technical questions, please feel free to ask.

Carl...great graphics, need some part time work?

Mike Mojo.. hi!! and a question (coz i don't argue with Mojo).

quote " you could redesign it for closed loop no problem. One thing to keep in mind though is that the outputs are only 1 inch so your going to loose at lease 40% of your overall flow from the pump, so 3000 would equal (after all plumbing) around 1200gph total.

mike"

Mike, the inlet is 1 1/2, the outlets are 1 inch, and if the centre drum is machined correctly (exiting at least TWO ports at any one time) then all 3000gph will simply travel through with no other loss than the accumulated bend's.. yes - no?

Paul

my 175g www.oceansmotions.com/reef.htm

Last edited:
Back