Octopus Hang-on Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ronj

Blue Tang
does anyone know anything about the hangon octopus skimmers???i need a hangon skimmer..i really don't want to buy a remora$$$$$$...

I have been scoping them as well. Hopefully some one who knows something will pipe up

i am watching an aqua c on ebay..if i don't get it, i am going to try the double octopus hang-on skimmer!!!

Maybe Brad (Bradreef) may be able to give some feedback. He seems to know quite a bit about the Octopus skimmers or just talk to Bob (Reefdaddy) :)

Reefdaddy doesn't have the hang-on type, but i'm going to pm him and ask him if he will order one with his next shipment(if i don't get the remora!!)...i would like to give Bob some business..the only place that has the double skimmer hang-on is Marinesolutions..i ordered from them before and didn't like the service..i really don't want to order from them again!! i also want to see if Bob knows anything about the hang-on type.

there really hasn't been that much on these on Rc. just not the best design. all of these hang-ons just dont have much contact time. I have heard it is better than a backpak but I think the remora is still prefered

I know this isnt the same but I have an Octopus 150 in sump and man it rocks. My SuperSkimmer never pulled half the junk this is...

well i have an Octopus200 for my 125g..i have it in a curing tank with a ton of rock..it is pulling out some serious gunk!! i have a 72g that had a piece of junk Prizm skimmer on it..it works ok on my 30g, but anything over that and it is useless!!! i need a hangon for my 72g.it isn't RR...

For a true low budget solution with decent performance gains you might want to consider CoralLife's HOB super skimmers. Just ordered a 65 gallon unit, for my 12gl nano, from Dr Foster&Smith. OTherwise I do have an Octopus 150 recirc for my under construction 90 gallon reef tank.

i have never heard anything good about Coralife skimmers...i have an Octopus already..i will give the hang-on Octo a try...it will be a week or two before i order it..i have a lot of stuff to buy for my 125g that i am setting up

coralife are ok and decent compared to the seaclones. but that is what I consider the top of the crappy skimmers. the octo's are what I consider the cheapest of the decent skimmers. deltec is what I consider the poorly built of the good skimmers.

i don't really think there is such a thing as a really good hang-on skimmer...there is just not enough contact time in the chamber...i want to give the Octopus a try.. when i get it, i will give some feedback

sweet, well even if it doesnt perform well you can do roland's getto gutter wheel mod to it....lol, it will kick ass then...

Can you elaborate on this mod? never heard of it.

woohoo 100th post yea me...

By the way, Thanks for the tip on the Octopus 150...This thing is kicking some serious *** ...

Last edited:
ok, i just checked..the hangon Octopus does come with a needle wheel for sure!!

Back