Octopus NW 150 skimmer, need help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I'm installing a new skimmer and need help setting up the baffle for proper water level. Does anyone have the octopus nw 150 skimmer? What level do you run your water. I just started to design a new sump and need to know what water level height to make the skimmer area. Thx for any info.

i had the same question... i just bought the NW 200... i set it up in the bathtub to clean it before i used it....you can kind of tell how it will do once you see the water running through it......when you extend the water level tube, it skims differently.... i think it skims wetter the more you extend the tube.... (i think)....i am going to set mine on the bottom of the sump..it will have about 13 inches of water....i will have to extend the tube about 2" for this...the tube w/out being extended on mine is 11" high, so if i wanted the tube to be all the way down and not under water , i would have to build a 2" stand.... try setting it up in the bathtub and i think it will help you see how it works!!!

It can take a few days for the skimmer to get broken in and begin to create foam. Once that starts, raise the adjustment tube untill it is putting out fairly tight foam, creating dark skimmate, in lieu of wet clear skimmate.

No two tanks/skimmers are the same. You will get the hang of yours through trial and error and daily adjustments (if not more frequent.)

Last edited:
ronj said:
i had the same question... i just bought the NW 200... i set it up in the bathtub to clean it before i used it....you can kind of tell how it will do once you see the water running through it......when you extend the water level tube, it skims differently.... i think it skims wetter the more you extend the tube.... (i think)....i am going to set mine on the bottom of the sump..it will have about 13 inches of water....i will have to extend the tube about 2" for this...the tube w/out being extended on mine is 11" high, so if i wanted the tube to be all the way down and not under water , i would have to build a 2" stand.... try setting it up in the bathtub and i think it will help you see how it works!!!
Good idea, setting up in the tub. Thanks.

Herefishyfishy said:
It can take a few days for the skimmer to get broken in and begin to create foam. Once that starts, raise the adjustment tube untill it is putting out fairly tight foam, creating dark skimmate, in lieu of wet clear skimmate.

No two tanks/skimmers are the same. You will get the hang of yours through trial and error and daily adjustments (if not more frequent.)
Oh, so the tube that comes out of the top sucks air?

Hey guys, I am confused here. You just added saltwater in your bath tub right. How can you adjust your skimmate with out protiens? No pun intended. I just want to learn. I do not know any more than you, so I say this with a smile. Again, teach me the benefits.

Fishead77 said:
Oh, so the tube that comes out of the top sucks air?

There are three tubes:
The primary 6-8" tube reaction chamber where the air/water mixture is injected by the pump,

The adjustable height 2" water return with the sponges that ease the return into the sump,

The 1/4" air intake that goes to the venturi on the water jet end of the pump.

The only tube that sucks is the air intake on the venturi.

The wetness of the skimmate is determined by raising or lowering the return tube's height, which causes the water level in the reaction chamber to rise or drop accordingly. This is accomplished due to gravity being equal in any connected condition and seeking the same height.

Once the skimmer is "aged" and creating foam, raise or lower the 2" diameter return tube (the one with the sponges) until the collecter cup is only collecting dark soupy liquid from dense foam building up in it. You also don't want the level so high, that little bubbles are returning to the sump.

Attached is a link to a discussion on your skimmer. The tank is awesome, and has a very busy skimmer due to it's large bio-load. You will see what skimmate looks like:D

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16677&highlight=butt

Last edited:
I am considering getting one of these for my 300. I have been hearing good results. That is why I am tagging along.

Ed hahn, i set mine up in the bathtub and ran FW w/ vinegar in it to clean it out prior to use..........also,Fishead, the extendable pipe on the side is the water exit...the small airline tubing coming from the pump is where the air comes from....you raise the extendable pipe to control how much it will skim..

Hey Ed.

Running the skimmer in the bath tub with White Vinegar is supposed to break the skimmer in faster. You could play with adjustments a little to see the over all heigth of the output, affects of tweaking of this and that. Correct, it will not produce and foam so you'll still have to make adjustments once placed in the sump.

just wondering, where did you purchase yours from???? i bought mine from marinesolutionsinc.com and they gave me no manual os setup instructions whatsoever .....did you get any with yours???

Got mine from Aquacave, a sponser here. No manual or instructions either.
The design is quite similar on most of these shaped skimmers regardless of what drives them. Very similar to my Kent Nautilus TE, also a good skimmer.
It was venturi run and always wanted to try a needle wheel impeller type.

well, i am starting mine out sitting on the sump floor...w/ the baffles in place ,the water level will be about 12-13"....if this doesn't work out,(i think it will) i will add a small stand

I was just confused how it would work with out saltwater also. I know that vinegar is a acid. Thanks for the information.

Back