Octopus skimmer problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I'm having problems with my new 150 octopus skimmer. When I first start it up the pump will not fill the skimmer tube. It's like it can't get going. The pump tries but just can't do it. I put a 1/2" tube in the suction part of the pump and blow. This gets it started. I've taken it apart and everything seems to be working fine. Once it gets started it pumps a good volume. Has anyone else had this issue? I just cleaned it and started it back up again (by blowing though the 1/2" tube). It is not foaming up like before, the bubbles are bigger now. I checked my alk. level and it was low. Could this cause the skimmer to not foam up? Help, thanks, Brian.

). It is not foaming up like before, the bubbles are bigger now. I checked my alk. level and it was low. Could this cause the skimmer to not foam up
i wouldn't think that had anything to do with it....how deep is the water that the skimmer is sitting in???

also, is your air tube above the water level?????i know you said you took it apart and clreaned it, but have you checked to see if the pump is clogged or something???

well, if it is working when you blow into the intake, i would think that maybe it is clogged up somewhere:confused: :confused:

well, if it is working when you blow into the intake, i would think that maybe it is clogged up somewhere:confused: :confused:

Well I'm getting plenty of flow through the skimmer. The bubbles are not as fine as they were before, like the needlewheel isn't chopping them up. When I took it apart the needlewheel seemed to be spinning like it should. I checked the salt level in my water because it acts like a skimmer would with low salt. The salt level was fine 1.024. I called Aquacave (where I bought it) and got a stupid answering machine:mad: No help there. The water level is same as before 12". I can't figure out what changed, it was working great. AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Try sticking the air inlet hose in a cup of hot water and suck it through. Sounds like a plugged venturi.

Don

make sure the air tube is connected properly...if i block the top of my airtube, it will change the bubbles and start filling the cup with water

Try sticking the air inlet hose in a cup of hot water and suck it through. Sounds like a plugged venturi.

Don

That could be it! I blew through it and sucked on it. There didn't seem to be any obstruction but that's worth a try. There is a valve type thing on the end of the hose.

That could be it! I blew through it and sucked on it. There didn't seem to be any obstruction but that's worth a try. There is a valve type thing on the end of the hose.

I think that valve is a silencer dont know for sure. I havent seen it in person. If so and the noise doesnt bother you, get rid of it.

Don

More pictures- lots of bubbles but not fine. I don't know if you can tell from these pictures. Also there is a picture of the valve thing on the end of the airhose.

More pictures- lots of bubbles but not fine. I don't know if you can tell from these pictures. Also there is a picture of the valve thing on the end of the airhose.

Thats a silencer. I'd remove it all together. Did you just feed or have your hands in the tank?

Don

that's weird...mine didn't come with a silencer....anyway, your riser tube is really high!!!!! if i move mine up halfways, it just fills with bubbles in seconds and fills up the cup...something definately seems wrong...with the tube being that high, it should be putting out some serious bubbles...is the cup filling with water quickly???

bad pump?

Are there two seperate rotors in this pump? One with hydrofoils that move the water and a needle wheel? Maybe the needle wheel is broken and the pump is just moving water, the venturi will still suck in air and make big bubbles, just not chop it into little ones.

Probably good pump, maybe off center wheel. The needle wheel serves as impeller and agitater. As a test, raise the skimmer up in the sump and see if the pump still fills the entire tube. Could be that it is not spinning well or at full speed. If you opened the impeller housing up to clean it, the shaft could be off center making the wheel off center and creating a marked loss of power. If the pump fails to fill the reaction chamber all the way, the pump needs to be put back together correctly. The shaft needs to be cenered in the little hole on the top guide. You will see what I mean. There is a huge difference between one that is fully pumping and one that is not fully "primed" or has back pressure. Hope this communicates well enough.

p.s. Been there and done that till figured out the flukes. Envious of those whose were plug and play

bad pump?

Are there two seperate rotors in this pump? One with hydrofoils that move the water and a needle wheel? Maybe the needle wheel is broken and the pump is just moving water, the venturi will still suck in air and make big bubbles, just not chop it into little ones.

Probably good pump, maybe off center wheel. The needle wheel serves as impeller and agitater. As a test, raise the skimmer up in the sump and see if the pump still fills the entire tube. Could be that it is not spinning well or at full speed. If you opened the impeller housing up to clean it, the shaft could be off center making the wheel off center and creating a marked loss of power. If the pump fails to fill the reaction chamber all the way, the pump needs to be put back together correctly. The shaft needs to be cenered in the little hole on the top guide. You will see what I mean. There is a huge difference between one that is fully pumping and one that is not fully "primed" or has back pressure. Hope this communicates well enough.

p.s. Been there and done that till figured out the flukes. Envious of those whose were plug and play
That's what I'm thinking bad pump/needlewheel, not chopping the bubbles. I shouldn't have to prime it with a blow through a tube to get it going. Thanks for the feedback. Maybe I'll try taking it apart again and see if I can fix it.

did you do anything to it in the first place to make it stop???? did you clean it before it stopped??

Back