Octopus skimmer problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

did you do anything to it in the first place to make it stop???? did you clean it before it stopped??

NO, turned it off and removed the skim cup. I put the cup back on plugged it in, had to blow through the half inch tube on the pump intake to jump start and waa laa - big bubbles - no foam. I have since taken it apart again. Everything looks fine, needlewheel is in center on the ceramic shaft. Ron when you plug your's in does it fill the skimmer and start up on it's own, or do you have to get it going like I do? I'm guessing yours just fills and goes when you plug it in. I think my pump is defective.

i have only had it running for like a week:oops: ....the cup is half full and i haven't unplugged it yet..i am scared to after reading your post:eek:

ok!!!! i just turned it off and emptied it...that was sick!!!!! it smelled like rotten eggs!!!! my skimmer came right back on and is working normally though!!! i was very scared to unplug it!!! maybe if you could get some real close up shots from the side or something, it could help if we notice something that you might have missed.maybe you could take it out and put it in the tub and mess around with it some to see if you can figure out what's wrong with it...

I just saw a picture of the impellor. I think with the desing it going to have to be like Scooter said. I dont think they are going to do well at all below 6".

Don

I just saw a picture of the impellor. I think with the desing it going to have to be like Scooter said. I dont think they are going to do well at all below 6".

Don

i think Scooter wanted him to try it in 6" of water..mine is in like 12-13" of water

i think Scooter wanted him to try it in 6" of water..mine is in like 12-13" of water

Yes exactly. That impellor is not going to push enough water to prevent cavitation or stall when its to deep. You should notice more when the pump breaks in a little.

Don

Too bad they don't write a spec for these units. Mine was having problems starting in 4" of water, so raised the level of the WTO to 6" and no more problems. I bet having the correct depth for the individual skimmer is the ticket. Worth the hassle though, great skimmers once running...

Too bad they don't write a spec for these units. Mine was having problems starting in 4" of water, so raised the level of the WTO to 6" and no more problems. I bet having the correct depth for the individual skimmer is the ticket. Worth the hassle though, great skimmers once running...

I tried it for a minute at 6" depth. It didn't seem to make any difference. How deep do you have yours set at? When I raised mine it was pumping ok just big bubbles, no foam.

I tried it for a minute at 6" depth. It didn't seem to make any difference. How deep do you have yours set at? When I raised mine it was pumping ok just big bubbles, no foam.

6"

When you say "big bubbles, no foam", do you mean in the reaction chamber or end product in the neck? How long has it been running? What kind of skimmate did you collect prior? Looking at your pictures, the water looks milky white like little bubbles do. Your riser pipe looks a bit high too. How fresh is your water? Is there any impurities to come out or is the water crystal clean?
If it is pumping strong enough to have water pouring out the riser tube, the pump is working fine. Is the venturi plugged? Is your air line clear? If it is not drawing enough air, maybe the skimmer is too deep in the water as scooter suggested.

Making any adjustment to a skimmer or putting your hands in the tank/sump will stop most skimming action. Try raising the skimmer onto some pedestal such as a new flower pot or upside down bowl or whatever, lowering your riser pipe. Leave it alone and watch it for a couple days and I bet it will start working, or go back to working, whichever the case.

6"

When you say "big bubbles, no foam", do you mean in the reaction chamber or end product in the neck? How long has it been running? What kind of skimmate did you collect prior? Looking at your pictures, the water looks milky white like little bubbles do. Your riser pipe looks a bit high too. How fresh is your water? Is there any impurities to come out or is the water crystal clean?
If it is pumping strong enough to have water pouring out the riser tube, the pump is working fine. Is the venturi plugged? Is your air line clear? If it is not drawing enough air, maybe the skimmer is too deep in the water as scooter suggested.

Making any adjustment to a skimmer or putting your hands in the tank/sump will stop most skimming action. Try raising the skimmer onto some pedestal such as a new flower pot or upside down bowl or whatever, lowering your riser pipe. Leave it alone and watch it for a couple days and I bet it will start working, or go back to working, whichever the case.

The pictures don't show the size of bubbles very well, just lots of bubbles. They are big bubbles, in the body and in the neck(clear skimate). Initially they weren't that big and it was skimming nicely(good skimate). I changed the overflow on my tank and am getting more flow through my sump now. Basically that is all that changed. It is not skimmimg now (just blowing bubbles). It has been running about a week. The riser pipe is definitely higher now then it was when it was running good. Definitely seems that it is not getting enough air. I took don w's suggestion and soaked the venturi (or what ever the black cylinder at the end of the air hose is). It didn't seem to help. I will try raising it in the sump (I like the flower pot idea). Thanks for the help Herefishyfishy.

Last edited:
Take that black thing at the end of the hose off, see if it helps. Did you suck hot water through the venturi. Just sticking the hose in a cup of hot water will suck it in.

Don

Take that black thing at the end of the hose off, see if it helps. Did you suck hot water through the venturi. Just sticking the hose in a cup of hot water will suck it in.

Don

Hey Don, I pulled the black thing off it didn't seem to change anything. I talked to customer service at aquacave today. I still think it should work when plugged in and not need to be 'blow started'. I think there is something wrong with the pump or needlewheel. Nothing obvious, hopefully they will send me a replacement pump.Thx.

The rubbber washer that is between the venturi and the pump is blocking the air hole . It is a common problem with that pump.Take of the venturi and look at the washer placement .You could notch it or dab a bit of super glue to hold it away from the hole .

The rubbber washer that is between the venturi and the pump is blocking the air hole . It is a common problem with that pump.Take of the venturi and look at the washer placement .You could notch it or dab a bit of super glue to hold it away from the hole .

When I took it apart I saw that design. As I was screwing together I thought 'that's a strange place for the air inlet'. The hole is on the suface that mates up to the threads on the pump. I figured it must be OK since that's how it was designed. I'll take another look at it. Thanks.

what brand is that pump????? i thought they were sedra pumps..mine says octopus turbine pump????

Back