Octopus skimmer problem

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

You might want to look at one. Almost exactly like the sedra 3500/5000, inside and out. Acts just like my Sedra too.
Doesn't look at all like the Ocean Runner. Could be a Chinese knockoff as the price sure doesn't add up. But then, the price for other quality skimmers and pumps seem outrageous to me anyway so who knows.

Last edited:
You might want to look at one. Almost exactly like the sedra 3500/5000, inside and out. Acts just like my did Sedra too.
Doesn't look at all like the Ocean Runner. Could be a Chinese knockoff as the price sure doesn't add up. But then, the price for other quality skimmers and pumps seem outrageous to me anyway so who knows.

The coralvue uses a oceanrunner knock off, well sort of. They come from the same plant but made just for this skimmer per coral vue. Side by side they look like a ocean runner without the OR sticker. The guys at coralvue (vue tech) gave me the scoop on these yesterday. The acrylic is cast but is a chinese blend to keep the price down, what ever that means. Has about the same strength as us extruded of the same thickness. They will be making improvements as time goes on if sales continue the way they are now.

Don

Don, found this googling from another board:

"Actually they were designed by Coralvue, but when hurricane Katrina hit the Chinese manufacture took his plans and sold them to Pacific Coast since everything was down in Louisiana.

The impellar they use is like the Aquamedic units and imploy the same Halida pump,re-branded Ocean Runner and re-branded as Octopus."

I looked at the picture of the old Halida 550GPH NW pump, and it is identical. Good job and Thanks.

Mike

Don, found this googling from another board:

"Actually they were designed by Coralvue, but when hurricane Katrina hit the Chinese manufacture took his plans and sold them to Pacific Coast since everything was down in Louisiana.

The impellar they use is like the Aquamedic units and imploy the same Halida pump,re-branded Ocean Runner and re-branded as Octopus."

I looked at the picture of the old Halida 550GPH NW pump, and it is identical. Good job and Thanks.

Mike

The impellor is not the same as the OR2700 sold at aquarium shops in the us. May just be a way for coralvue to make propriatory.

Don

Last edited:
so is mine just one that was renamed???...my pump says Octopus Turbine Pump and it alsop has an Octopus logo on the side of it...i wonder if some of the Octo's from different companies have different pumps with them???

You might want to look at one. Almost exactly like the sedra 3500/5000, inside and out. Acts just like my Sedra too.

Those are the resun pumps ( yes sedra in disguise)and I remember seeing them on octopus skimmers overseas.

Octopus turbine pumps which resemble ocean runners are indeed OR knock offs. The resun pumps may also be labled octopus but they are resun pumps relabled.

However the ones with the resuns are also sold cheaper IIRC

Some of the octopus skimmers came with resun pumps and had "resun" in the name of the unit IE Reef Octopus Resun NW150.

Later they all came with the OR factory clones labled octopus. Wouldn't surprise me to find 75% of the competing pumps made in the same town if not the same factory. Perhaps the difference is the label and marketing.

http://thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

So Fishead, what does the label on your pump say???? does it have an Octopus logo printed on the side???:confused:

So Fishead, what does the label on your pump say???? does it have an Octopus logo printed on the side???:confused:

It has the octopus label on it. I was out of town for the past couple of days. I checked the skimmer when I got back. It looks like it is once again working fine, foaming with fine bubbles and all that good stuff. Go figure ?? My alk was pretty low. I wonder if that would cause the bubbles to be so big. The salt level was fine. I think I won't shut it off anymore when I clean the cup. Thanks for all the help.

Last edited:
o.k.
here's what i did to mine...
take out that stupid washer!!!!!! unless you have the recirc model and it must be absolutely air tight for running externally then you wont even notice a little potential dripping.

also, the same chinese factory that makes these also makes the resun pumps, so depending on where you live in the world, you will get either the octopus or resun pumps, also they are already releasing multiple pump versions of these skimmers overseas...so we will see them shortly. i kinda wish i had one with the resun pumps personally...

once again working fine, foaming with fine bubbles and all that good stuff.

That is good to hear.
I think I won't shut it off anymore when I clean the cup.

Yes, no reason to turn off the pump on these puppies. They seem to do their best, when handled the least.

Sk Whisperer, thanks for that info. I prefer labled name brand products over clones even when from the same factory. Seems the company with the reputation on the line, gives better service and cuts less corners.

Mike

i like my Octopus..i hope i don't run into the same problem...i guess all companies run into a problem here and there..for the money, i think i got a good deal!! this thing puts out some nasty stuff and is cheaper than most of the popular ones..this brand seems to be coming up on the totem pole though!!!:)

o.k.
take out that stupid washer!!!!!! unless you have the recirc model and it must be absolutely air tight for running externally then you wont even notice a little potential dripping.
LOL!! That's what I was thinking!
That is good to hear.

Yes, no reason to turn off the pump on these puppies. They seem to do their best, when handled the least.
Mike
Thanks for the help! I'm starting to think that there was never really a problem with the skimmer/pump. I think I may have had my first snow shower, buffer and calcium combining and crashing. Could that cause the big bubbles?

i like my Octopus..i hope i don't run into the same problem...i guess all companies run into a problem here and there..for the money, i think i got a good deal!! this thing puts out some nasty stuff and is cheaper than most of the popular ones..this brand seems to be coming up on the totem pole though!!!:)

Hey Ron, I'm happy with mine now that everythings working again. I'm freakin' out!(well, I was anyway) :)

o.k.

I just got a reply back from Aquacave on the problem with my skimmer. Guess what there advise was "take out the washer". LOL!!!!!

Back