Octopus skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Fishead77

Dork
I received my new 150 octopus skimmer today and am breaking it in with water and vinegar. My question is how high in the tube should the bubbles be? Thx.

mine went all the way to the collection cup, but never spilled over...this is when i was cleaning it w/ vinegar in the bathtub..i have the oct200NW..they should be at the top...

ronj said:
mine went all the way to the collection cup, but never spilled over...this is when i was cleaning it w/ vinegar in the bathtub..i have the oct200NW..they should be at the top...
OK, right up to the top. Are you still cleaning it with vinegar?:D Ron do you have any pix of your new skimmer in your new sump?Thx.

i have a pic of it sitting on my carpet:D ..i am waiting on the guy to finish building my stand...the bubbles will be a little higher if you are skimming "wetter"(i know thats not a word):p the bubbles should be right around the collection cup

here is a pic!!!! you can kind of see the bubbles at the top..i know it is hard to see

The hourly level of the bubbles will change with the bio load, particulate suspension and "age" of the skimmer. (plus many other variables) Adjust the heigth based on the desired density of skimmate. I prefer a dark thick skimmate so keep the pipe lower, some prefer wetter. The picture above seems to have clear water in the collector so perhaps is a bit high. You might have to adjust the exit pipe off and on for a couple weeks until you get the desired product and the skimmer is well aged, mellowed, groved in, or whatever the name. Once there, should be able to leave it alone. My Oct150nw is working AWESOME and I love it!

it is clear water......it's in the bath tub..:D ..LOL..i was cleaning it with water and vinegar in the pic

i wish it could!!!!..whenever my stand is finished, it will be...this guy hasn't started on it yet...his cabinet shop is very busy...i am going to go help him build it after the shop closes one day

ronj said:
i wish it could!!!!..whenever my stand is finished, it will be...this guy hasn't started on it yet...his cabinet shop is very busy...i am going to go help him build it after the shop closes one day
Do they charge extra for helping? :) I'm trying to get my sump going. The movable baffles with the rubber insallation aren't working so well, if the next chamber isn't full the pressure from the full chamber pushes them out. I'm thinking about siliconing the baffles. The mag 9.5 (holly crap that thing pumps alot of water) is moving more water then I expected, will have to get another overflow box to keep up. I do like the idea of that much flow. Later, Brian.

the cabinet guy is a friend of my dad..he thinks i am helping him, when i am really going to make sure he builds it correctly:badgrin: ......i was going to try the same baffles...i decided if i want to move them, i can just cut the silicone!! i didn't trust the idea of those baffles...also, what size tank do you have?????

I have a 90g with a 55g sump. I will be emptying the sump and siliconing the baffles. What type of silicone did you use and how long did you let it dry? Thx ron.

i used GE Silicone 1(windows and doors..i think it said).....you should not use GE silicone 2...it is not safe for your tank...it has algaside in it

i used GE Silicone 1(windows and doors..i think it said).....you should not use GE silicone 2...it is not safe for your tank...it has algaside in it

OK, GE silicone 1. How long did you let it cure before putting water in? How many tubes did you use? If I recall the picts. it was 'well' siliconed.:D

LOL...i used ALOT.....that's funny that you remember that...i only bought one tube...i made sure the baffles were staying there with that thick bead that i put on them:p...also, i haven't put any water in it yet...my stand is still "hypothetical"..lol...i would wait a day or two..that should be plenty

LOL...i used ALOT.....that's funny that you remember that...i only bought one tube...i made sure the baffles were staying there with that thick bead that i put on them:p...also, i haven't put any water in it yet...my stand is still "hypothetical"..lol...i would wait a day or two..that should be plenty

Cool, thanks for the help!

Back