Octopus skimmer question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

where can you find these octopus skimmers?? I'm bout to give up on the asm.:mad:

I shopped around and thought that Aquacave had the best price. It took almost a week before they shipped:( and another week for it to arrive. But it arrived in fine shape. I read a post from Da Colts on his Octopus skimmer and it looks impressive. I'm hoping for the same results, have heard nothing but good things about them. Aquacave sells there 150 octopus for $140. Good Luck,Brian.

i had a communication problem w/ marinesolutions...they only answer the phone 2 days a week and only like 3 each hours out of those days. i got mine withina week, but i never got a shipping conf or tracking #..i got the octo200nw for$190

Last edited:
Sue T....make sure your stand has enough room in it for one of these skimmers....they are about 25" tall. then you will need a few inches to get the collection cup off...i am having a custom stand made for this reason and also the oceanic stands are way too pricey!!!:doubt:

Ron, it worked for 1 day last week and I needed to empty the collection cup, when I plugged it back in the racket was back. It would not stop making that racket. So yesterday I loaded it up and hauled it to a friends LFS. He completely took the pump apart and nothing was broken, cracked, no excuse for the noise. So he then put it back together and we plugged it on to one of his LR tanks and it worked. I got it home and it's worked since yesterday, but it's not making anything but wet foam. I am going to let it run and see if it'll settle in.

I have tried to contact ASM and not had my emails returned. Tried calling and that was also to no avail. What customer service???:mad:

Thanks...

i read your other thread...lower the pipe on the side to get more dry dark skimmate..leave it for a day or two and see if you are happy w/ it

I lowered it a bit by accident this morning.. It's still cranking along, but talk about having to have everything just right for this thing to work. It's ridiculous.. even my friend that looked at it yesterday said this is made so cheaply. Too thin on the plastic or whatever it is..

Thanks much for the help...

i almost went w/ the ASM, but the octo's are much cheaper and i have heard good things about them

and I thought I had done so well on my homework before buying this skimmer. I could kick myself now. I agree about all the good things I've now heard about them. Plus those pics...whoa.. major gunk..:eek:

I'm gonna watch this thread too and maybe when you do have it running you can give me some feedback on it. I am seriously thinking about this skimmer..

i used GE Silicone 1(windows and doors..i think it said).....you should not use GE silicone 2...it is not safe for your tank...it has algaside in it

Well Ron, I went to Lowes to get the GE silicone 1, the label says 'Not For' blah blah blah and aquariums:eek: . So I checked out the others that they have on the shelf and they all say not for aquariums. :confused: Now what?

i just looked at my tube...i can't find that anywhere on the tube.i made sure i read every line...make sure you are looking at the right tube

I have been using my Oct 150NW for many weeks now and absolutely love it. Bought it from Aqua cave and was given the Reef Fronteers 5% discount when asked for. Arrived in under a week! The adjustment is like most other needle wheel skimmers. Been getting very dark and thick skimmate after a week of minor adjustments. Pretty simple, lower the tube until all you get is dark thick foam. Many spend too much time fiddling with it. This is my third skimmer not counting the old air driven units, and by far the best for the money if not the best over-all.

While on vacation, my daughter even figured out how to empty and reinstall the collection cup and she is not mechanically inclined.

Give it a chance, and perhaps time will show you what awesome and easy skimming that octopus provides.

Last edited:
Back