Odd fish really odd babies

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

-=dieseldave=-

So I have two fish that I got about year and a half ago they were mixed in with some chromis. They starting mating a few months ago. I have a pair of clown that have been breading for three years or so. When the clown eggs hatch you can see them the night they hatch in the watter with a flash light they are always gone the next morning. It has been the same for the mystery fish that I have they are usally gone in the morning.

On Sunday night while peering though the tank with a flash light I spotted the fry from the mystery fish and they were still alive. They were next to the bottom of the tank with one of the mystery fish parents. I though it was odd and went to bed.

Monday morning I looked in the tank at the area where the fry and parents were the fry still there and alive. I though it was cool and strange that they would be and even could still be alive.

I have 70-80X turnover in my tank and they are only a few inches from one of four 6100 Tunze stream pumps. They were swimming against the current.

One of the parents was about a foot away from the fry chasing away the two large angles and two tangs and chromis. The other parent was and stayed next to the fry and when one of the other fish got past the first parent it would attack the incoming fish until it left the area.

Well it is Thursday night and they are still alive. They are about double the size that they were on the first night, I would say they are close to about 1cm now. There is ruffly the same number of them as well.

A few weeks ago started feeding rotifers to my tank a every few days. They do appear to be eating them but I'm not 100% sure. I thought is was amazing that they have made it this long in a full blown reef tank.

Here are a few pictures.

One of the parents.
View attachment 27866
One of the parents with the fry on Monday
View attachment 27867
close up of one of the fry on Monday
View attachment 27868
Some shots from today
View attachment 27869View attachment 27870

Thank you,
David

looks like the parents might be a Neoglyphidodon spp. that genus has a very brightly colored juveniles but the adults turn very drab. that's really cool the fry are still alive (have you thought about removing them or the clownfish fry when they hatch)

They lay there eggs at the bottom of the tanks they are 30'' down on the under side of some large rocks so they would be extremely difficult to reach. I could try placing a tile down there in the hopes that they lay their egg on it. If i did that i would have to raise the fry. It would be cool but I do not have the time do dedicate to that either.

When the adult fish were juveniles they were a light gray with a yellow stripe running from the top of the head to almost to the tail.

Thank you,
David

could be the blackmouth chromis, you can also use a flashlight to bring the fry up to the top and scoop them out (at night of course) but if you don't want to deal with raising them just see how it plays out. you could always add some macro algae to see if they will survive longer

very cool post I can't believe it hasnt got more responses than it has. Congrats on the new babies if I was u I'd be trading those things in for dry goods and or other fish. Since they gotta b hardy fry

I'd really like to know how you got your hands on some rotifiers. Is there any way you can provide me with a link to get rotifiers please.

Thanks

very cool post I can't believe it hasnt got more responses than it has. Congrats on the new babies if I was u I'd be trading those things in for dry goods and or other fish. Since they gotta b hardy fry

I'd really like to know how you got your hands on some rotifiers. Is there any way you can provide me with a link to get rotifiers please.

Thanks

just wondering

Back