odd little growths

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aedeos

Future Sen
These have showed up around my tank and I'm kind of curious. The first thing are, as best I can describe, similar looking to barnacles. They have a pasty-white pyramid-like base with arms extended outwards. They don't grow quickly and haven't spread greatly, and I haven't even seen them really move, but they have my curiosity.

The other thing is like a dark purple coraline algae, but it is rather bumpy and puts off arms almost, as if it were a miniature stony coral. I don't see any polyps, though.

Any ideas? They've been around for awhile but haven't really spread. They just caught my interest and I figured I'd ask around.

the barnacle like things, how big are they? Do they have shells?

The purple things I have in my tank but I can't remember the name of them. They can hurt your fingers if you pick up a rock and grab them accidentally. ANother reason its best to wear gloves

no shells on the barnacle-looking things, as far as I can tell. They're maybe 1-2mm tall, 1-1.5 mm across.

Fairly certain they're not limpets, though. All the limpets I've ever seen on the coast don't have feeder tentacles.

Back