Odd skimmer idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

DonW

R.I.P.
I'm going to try this one tonight. Using a tunze 6000 with the prop on backwards. Just might work??

Somewhere i read the seio was designed with skimmer use in mind. don't know if it is true.

I think that could work really well Don, you might just start a revolution. Maybe not. I don't think that it would work any better then a OceanRunner 3700 and they are 1/3 the price. It will be interesting to see what it does and how you do the mods for a venturi and whatnot. Couldn't hurt if you have the tunze just kicking around.

big t said:
I think that could work really well Don, you might just start a revolution. Maybe not. I don't think that it would work any better then a OceanRunner 3700 and they are 1/3 the price. It will be interesting to see what it does and how you do the mods for a venturi and whatnot. Couldn't hurt if you have the tunze just kicking around.

Its just hanging around so I thought I'd use it for something.

Don

Its just hanging around so I thought I'd use it for something.

Don

I wish I had a tunze or 2 laying around...

Don...whether it works or not, will you post a photo? I'd love to see how it looks after you assembled it...

Flipping the impeller was easy. Did need to cut a small notch but did not ruin it. There is no way it will pull air through a venturi. I do think a small air pump would make quite a bubble maker. I had my kid take the pics while I blew on the hose very lightly.

Don

big t said:
I got a bunch of them. Just stop by.

I stuck the big badger in front of it and it was a bit much.:lol: Just Blowing through a 1/4 air line tube did the best. The bubbles are so fine they make a mist comming out of the tank.
My question would be if it did fill a 8" tube would that small of air pressure push the foam up a neck? Really do you need tons of air or just millions of bubbles?

Don

I just read you need to hit this magic 13% air to water ratio. How would you calculate this??

Don

Don now that I see your pics, I remember my stream would make fine bubbles like that when I'd bring it close to the top allowing it to suck some air, the prop was in the normal position, it would blow a stream of micro bubbles across the tank. Not sure on the 8" tube, I think the skimming thread has some sort of calculator.

DonW said:
I stuck the big badger in front of it and it was a bit much.:lol: Just Blowing through a 1/4 air line tube did the best. The bubbles are so fine they make a mist comming out of the tank.
My question would be if it did fill a 8" tube would that small of air pressure push the foam up a neck? Really do you need tons of air or just millions of bubbles?

Don

Don, the air bubbles just force their way up into the neck from the pressure of the bubbles that are below the water surface, not from pump pressure. So it's the millions of bubbles that do it. ( although pump pressure will affect the bubble volume )

There are a couple of calculators being developed at RC that take into account many factors including the 13% and other factors introduced by Escobal. I'll try to find it and post here.

Your pictures show good density and excellent bubble size, impressive!

I really love this DIY stuff, it's great!! :D

> Wave98 :)

Last edited:
krish75 said:
LOL. See that...Not finished completely with this project and already has plans for the next! You're alright Don:) Best of luck!

Not sure the pump idea will work so Ive got to have a backup.

Don

Back