Odd skimmer idea

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Crazyreefers calculator had a few bugs in it, and the original version was geared to a specialized design he was working on. He is working on a new version, but he has not posted it yet.

In order to calculate the bubble saturation level, it is a bit of low level math. Start with bubble dwell time. If we know how long a bubble stays in the water column, we can calculate how much is in at any one time based on the feed rate.

Figure out the vessel size.
Figure out what 13% of that is.
Figure out bubble dwell time.
Divide 13% bubble volume/bubble dwell time (use the same units you want in the end - in my case I used cubic feet and bubble dwell time in minutes = CFM to maintain the saturation.)

The calculator I posted did this calculation, but it was dismissed because crazzyreefers calculator was first.

Dale

Dale - would you mind posting your calculator link again for this thread? Thanks

http://www.tinygiants.com/wwwthread...ber=8762&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

It is the attachment on this post.

To my knowledge the calculations are correct. There is a conversion calculator to convert most of the needed units (mm to inches for example). I tried to document my sources as I went. Links are embedded where applicable.

Most of the basics were derived from skimming 101 here at RF. There are some collaborative ideas in the rest of the theory. An example was discussion between crazzyreefer and I about a bubble on a treadmill. From there I figured out the math to convert feed rate into water velocity. I use this info to predict impact on bubble rise rate and the Reynolds Number (weather the flow will be turbulent or laminar).

On my sheet there are 3 seperate Reynolds Numbers. They are lines 48, 49, and 51.

48 & 49 the math is correct, but I am not sure what the results mean. A chemical engineer on a compettitor site is helping me with the results. He is also validating that the formulas are relevent.

51, is right. It will give the output based on the water, pipe size, and velocity. It will even forcast the type of flow based on the engineering standards.

The air bubble section is the part relevent to this thread. If you know the size of the skimmer and the bubble rise rate it, it computes total volume, 13% air volume, and how much air volume is needed to maintain that saturation. In addition it calculates what the head pressure is on the air pump at the needed volume.

Let me know if you find any new errors.
Dale

Last edited:
Back